Help needed !!!! Boost controller

JGlynn89

Hi Every1,

Bought a Greddy profec b boost controller for my 97 Legacy rs (boxer engine)

Had it connected by a mechanic and he said he set it to come in on the second turbo, which is about 4k revs, we all know there is a flat spot on legacys around then anyway, but since its been put in its worse and the boost drops and then goes back up but its still not boosting over standard !! I thought it was the dip switch settings so i changed them to the correct setup, still no joy !! was just wondering if anyone new or ever had this problem, or will i remove this thing before it feks my engine up !! Its not the ecu holding it back either because i replaced stock with a Prova ecu which allows higher boost..... Please help if you can its driving me mad at this stage.

ok, messing with the boost isnt as easy as it sounds. its dangerous if not done properly by someone who actually knows whats going on. first off, have you an accurate boost gauge? if not, you should get one and not a cheap cheap one because they are not accurate at all. i suggest you get a boost gauge fitted and then get it set all up properly by someone with a dyno that can map cars and set up electronic gadgets.

Ok Neelie thanks for reply

I do have a hks boost gauge, it reads 0.5 when boosting i wanted around 0.8 or 0.9

But it wont go higher at all, if anything it lags a bit, shame cause the controller was dear, might take it out and sell it at this rate !

I'd talk to someone that can map and dyno.
Defo worth the chat and you can decide then what to do with it.

never did like stand alone controllers on Legacys

for one they are just dangerous, your ECU in standard form when it is the one controlling the boost, can cut/reduce the boost if it feels things are not right, getting knock or such, to protect the engine, with the Greddy you have the car has no control over the boost so if something goes wrong and your ECU wants to protect your engine...... its can't....... and puff goes your engine maybe

second, you can only set one boost figure, as they share a wastage, not two like the car has as standard, ( 0.8 primary and 1/1.1bar secondary usually) you can set it to only one pressure, so youll only get the same boost on primary and secondary charging, which is a little rubbish as setting it to say 1 bar for both, is alot for primary but not alot for secondary, if you make it safe for primary at say .8 bar its not much at all on secondary, and if you put it on high for secondary (1.3-1.4) its dangerous on primary (hope that makes sense)

and three, it seems you have yours to cover a problem... thats never wise

if it were me.

remove it and sell it to one of those Impreza boy racers :icon_nana: :hjtwofinger: and find out an fix what is wrong with it to cause it to not boost well

there are people to help you the knowledge on here and UKLegacy is vast

get it running how and by the means its supposed to :subaru:

Thanks man great write up :)

I think i might just have to do that, do you know what legacys are ment to be boosting at ?

some say different but typically as i mentioned above its

0.8 BAR or 11.6 PSI on the primary (2k rpm to roughly 4.2k rpm)

and then

1 BAR or 14.5 PSI secondary (4.5k rpm above)

lots of cars vary, for instance mine is 0.75 Bar primary and 1.35 secondary

No way yours seems alot better tbh i love that kinda boost

Mine is only getting 0.5 on both turbos !!

Thats why i wanted to get this controller installed !

The easiest way is to get another car the same beside yours and compare everything. Do you know anything about your cars past?

Back