general advice should i take a gamble

Darkshadow

Petrolheads
not sure if this will work out or not but i have a bid in on eBay at the moment for a 2000 impreza turbo 2.0 awd wagon good price so far but a bit early to say

this was part of the write up on the car

Have had as second owner since May 2003, when it had some 30,000-ish miles. Have driven her about 117,000 miles since and has until now absolutely no mechanical problem at all. For past three years have been driving around 600+ miles per week, all trouble-free. Could not believe what happened last Tuesday (30 October 2007) when white steam leaked from under the bonnet and I pulled over immediately. More bewildering because I check oil/water/tyres weekly and have very rarely needed to top-up water or oil.

Called RAC, excellent patrol-guy. He did a check by putting a chemical-filled tube into the radiator top whilst the engine was running. After about five minutes chemicals in the tube turned green. He diagnosed this as gases in the cooling system. RAC guy was brilliant. This car and my previous one, also an Impreza turbo, bought in 1999, was bought from and always serviced by Subaru specilaists Tiley of Bristol - i.e. Tiley know me and my car very well. We sat in the RAC guy's cab, 'phoned Tiley and had a three-way conversation about the problem and its diagnosis. This lasted about 15 minutes and included a couple of further checks by RAC guy on my Subaru to answer Tiley questions. Bottom line is that the head gasket has blown. Given the car's otherwise excellence, is unlikely to be worse.

question's are could it be a head gasket and how much is it going to cost to fix any ideas lads ??

thanks

thinking it could be a new play toy :wazzup:

yes its the head gasket. Exhaust gases are mixing with the engines coolant hence the fluid turning green.

Back