fuel pressure regulator for V5 type R

M

Matt

Looking for a standard fuel pressure regulator to buy or borrow for my V5 type r.
Having problems and want to rule it out.
Thanks

Im in Dublin area 0868899111

Hey

I can give you the original one for free - I went for adjustible one in my car. Send me pm if you're interested.
I live in Tallaght - now I'm abroad, but I'll be back tomorrow afternoon.

cheers

I have a standard one there also Matt if you want it. :icon_grin:

Got a adjustable one fitted in mine so its there if you need it man. :thumbsup:

Yeah fited one about 18months ago before i got it mapped :thumbsup:

backfiring back through the airbox would usually point to ignition timing!!!
but as you now know!!!
could be a multitude of things!!!
:ponder2: :ponder2:

Could that suggest a dirty/faulty crank sensor or other sensor?
That has come up as a possibility.
Although the difficulty starting, poor idle, rough/lumpy running and missfire under acceleration keeps coming up as lean running due to lack of fuel pressure when im lookiing on the internet for answers :dontknow:

i was out in my newage on monday night heading to ashbourne and as i pulled onto the main road and lashed off the limiter in 3rd gear,the car start running sh1t and engine light came on!!!
struggling up the road for 2 miles before the fooker stopped!!!!
everytime i cranked the car would start fine and then start popping and banging after bout 20 seconds....
got the car towed back to my mothers and threw the computer on it the next day!!!
engine crank sensor was the fault....
erased the fault and tore back to drogheda and no problems since!!!!
explain that!!!!
i dont know but obviously bouncing off the limiter brought the fault on!!!!
so could be the crank sensor!!!
:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Jesus thats mad. Hope its ok now.
Ill look into it tomorrow so.
Your heart really does have to be in owning one of these cars. But its worth it :thumbsup:

have you any access to a diagnostic machine!!!!
most things can be checked without changing parts such as fuel pressure,injectors,etc!!!!

Lusk motor group is only up the road from me so i can bring it there next week but im gonna try another pressure regulator tomorrow cos i cant leave it for the weekend cos it will drive me nuts :thumbsup:

Fuel pressure reg

Ive a scanguage 2 myself but only ever used it on my brothers 02 focus to get a fault code off it. Wont work on my car as you say

Got sorted with a fuel pressure regulator off keith :thumbsup:
But still no luck fixin the car :angry1:
Just wonderin where the idle control valve is located so i can clean it. Is it on the throttle body?
Gonna try get it in for diagnostics on monday

Copied from scoobyireland, sorry for the long write up Matt you probably know all this already :icon_redface:

Where Is The IACV?

The IACV sits directly above the throttle body, and is affixed to the throttle body with two screws. The picture below shows the IACV. In this picture, I have replaced one screw (left lower corner) with a hex-socket cap screw, while the other screw (right upper corner) has been removed.

IACVtop.jpg

Indications and Symptoms

The IACV is exposed to the intake charge, and grime can build up from both (these are my assumptions) a. oil blow-by and b. any impurities that manage to escape the air filter. A dirty IACV appears to cause both too high idle rates and too low idle rates. In my case, RPMs dropped immediately to zero (car stalled) when stopped. I needed to brake torque at a stoplight to simply keep the engine running. My idle problem took some time to manifest, and first appeared and disappeared after one day in January 2005 (bought the car in March 2002). By April 2005 it had returned, and was dramatically worse.

Replacement Gasket

As stated at the beginning of this thread, you should order and have in hand a replacement gasket for the IACV before removing the IACV, which is why I am including the “replacement gasket” discussion before I include instructions on how to remove the IACV (see below).

The IACV gasket is fragile, but what is more frustrating is that it actually expands under vacuum/pressure and temperature. As a result, it is possible that the old gasket has expanded so much that it is impossible to get it back into position once you have removed the IACV. You cannot know the condition of the gasket before removal of the IACV, so a good safety precaution IMO would be to have a new gasket standing by just in case.

Here is the issue in properly reattaching the IACV (see below): the IACV separates coolant circulated in the throttle body from the intake charge. If you have a bad seal, you will get coolant in your intake. From postings of members who have experienced this, coolant in your intake will show up as white smoke out the exhaust. For members who have performed the throttle body bypass mod, a bad IACV seal would manifest itself as a boost leak.

This picture shows how the old gasket expanded over the left-side of the gasket housing. It also shows where I pinched off a section trying to reattach the IACV.

IACVGasketOld.jpg

This picture shows how much larger the old gasket is compared to a fresh gasket.

IACVGaskets.jpg

Removing The IACV

The IACV is attached to the throttle body by two screws that are very soft. These are phillips-head screws with wide slots for a flat-head screwdriver. Given the softness of these screws, Unabomber has suggested removing these screws with a large flat-head and not a phillips-head screwdriver. I used a flat-head screwdriver, and managed to still take a small piece out of the top of one screw.

WRX03 has also found success with this screw removal technique: Attach a small pair of vise grips to the heads of the screws, just enough pressure to slightly indent the metal. Turn the vise grips along with turning a phillips-head screwdriver at the same time. It will break the screws loose with ease. If you're careful and your "small" vise grips have a flat section at the tip of the teeth, you can barely see the indention on the heads of the screws. Larger vise grips work but it easier to eat up the screws. The picture below demonstrates WRX03 “vice grip” technique

NASIOC members have used several different techniques to successfully clean the IACV. I would break these into three categories:

a) Unabomber’s alcohol and Q-tip approach
b) variations on Unabomber’s technique using WD-40, carb cleaner, and throttle body cleaner in place of alcohol. Note: it has been reported that carb cleaner eats rubber gasket material; therefore, it may be less desirable of a cleaning solution for cleaning the IACV than other solvents. If the IACV gasket is damaged, the result may include a boost leak and coolant in the intake.
c) WRX03’s gasoline technique
d) Subaru write-up submitted by Jon_in_CT: http://endwrench.com/images/pdfs/ISCSpring04.pdf

I myself have only used the alcohol technique. I have no direct experience with the other approaches.

IACV-Gascleaningtechnique.jpg

Reattaching The IACV And How To Replace The Stock Screws With Cap Screws

As indicated above, the screws used to attach the IACV to the throttle body are VERY soft. I stripped one when I was reattaching the IACV trying, and failing, to reuse my old gasket. Thanks to WRX03, who pointed out to me that the screws are 5 mm by 20 mm long, I went to Ace hardware and bought two M5 (5mm) 20 mm long cap screws with hex sockets. You can see one of these in the lower left of the first picture. The stock screws come with both a lock washer and a larger flat washer. I was unable (not sure how they got the flat washers on the screws to begin with) to remove the flat washers from the stock screws, so I used a small lock washer with each cap screw/bolt. I omitted using a flat washer with each cap screw/bolt, which meant that they were slightly longer than the stock configuration. That did not, however, prove to be a problem. This picture compares the stock screws to the new cap screws I used:

IACV--Stockscrewsvsnewhexcaps.jpg

The torque specification for the stock screws is 2.1 foot-pounds. Not having a low-torque torque wrench, I used a small hand-held allen wrench until they cap screw/bolts were snug.

Seating And Sealing The Gasket

It is important that the IACV be properly sealed. As you can see from the pictures above, an improper seal will allow coolant from the throttle body coolant lines to flow INTO your intake. Assuming you are using a fresh gasket, insert the gasket in the gasket grooves on the top of the IACV. As explained by Overdose in other posts, the gasket will look slightly too small. This is normal, and it will expand with heat, time and vacuum. Here is a shot of the new gasket ready to go:

IACVGasketNew.jpg

Once the gasket was in place, I closed the IACV back onto the throttle body (see the next section below on reattaching the IACV). After the two bolts (I replaced the screws) had been torqued down, I reset the ECU (the manual says to do this; not sure if it is necessary, but figured it would not hurt). I then primed the fuel pump 3 times, for two seconds each time (I read this as part of Unabomber’s IAC cleaning instructions). I started the car, and let it idle for about 10 minutes. This allowed the gasket to slowly heat up with the throttle body.

Following good advice from Overdose, I then took the car on a 10-mile freeway drive staying off boost, which is harder than you might think. Our cars really want to stretch their legs at all times. But I wanted the engine bay to get warm with highway-rpm’s (yes, it was flush with highway-speed-airflow, but anyway…) while the vacuum of running without boost would force the IACV gasket to expand.

After driving for 10 miles, I stopped and let the car idle for another 5 minutes. I checked the IACV for any outside coolant leaks, and it appeared fine.

I then turned off the engine. After about twenty minutes I returned, then started the car up. I drove back to the freeway, and, to see if the gasket was now sealed, applied boost. Then I applied more boost. After each application, I looked out my rear view mirror for any tell-tale clouds of white smoke that would indicate coolant had entered my air intake. No smoke. I then slowed down a bit, and did a nice healthy WOT run. All was fine, and the gasket was seated.

yeah its on the throttle body .

its on the right hand side of the throttle held in with two phillips head screws .

make sure to mark the position of the idle control valve with a bit of paint as it is adjustable .

hop u get it sorted . if u wanna change a few sensors off my car to try and find the problem i am free all day give me a bell 0861920921 jp :thumbsup:

Thanks for the info :thumbsup:
Ill have a look for the IACV and give that a go.
@Jp, thanks for the offer, i might give you a call later. Is yours a version 5/6?
Although i pulled the leads of the coil pack and it seemed to be working, its still possible its the problem.
When i bought the car, shortly after getting it mapped the coil pack went and at first it would cause an occasional hesitation under hard acceleration but would be fine normally.
Then it got worse and eventually stopped working completly on 1 cylinder. :thumbsup:

Back