equal length or unquel length exhaust headers?

no choice at all, unequal, if your going big power get a gt spec

:thumbsup:

Hey Scoobywrx most lads here will go for unequal length
simply for the flat four rumble ,

The advantage of fitting equal length, it would allow you to set
the engine's max output where ever you want it, in the rev range

as opposed to the unequal which would spread it more evenly across the rev's.

The equal length would be an advantage on say a track where you where racing similar powered
cars , you could get that extra little bit of kick just when you want it :D

Niall.

Hello Scooby Wrx,

As the lads say you will loose the Burble with Equal Length Headers....

But sometimes its nice to be different :dunno:

Have a listen to a newage JDM with twin-scroll turbo, it will give you a feel for the change in engine noise etc over un-equal :thumbsup:

If you go for un-equal, they really sound great with a Miltec 3" system :thumbsup:

But as the lads say the power gain between the two is reportedly very small :doh:

Cheers,

Michael

My car came in from Japan with equal length headers and although it does sound well, I do miss the burble,

I was told I'd get maybe 10-15 hp at the top end of the rev range but loose 10-15 lb/ft at the bottom and my lovely burble!
Best compromise is ported and heat wrapped unequal headers! I'm sure someone here can point you in the right direction to get that done!
Dan

agree 110% :thumbsup:
Even if I bought a scooby with equels as standard, ie. spec c or my08 sti I'd spend the €1000 odd yoyos to get unequels back and a remap!
Dan

Martin Tracey in Westward Engineering can port and polish the standard OEM Scooby Unequal Length manifold for you. Andy Forrest Recommended to do this rather than fit expensive equal length manifolds as the ported OEM manifold was only 4 to 5 bhp less that a full stainless steel GT Spec Unequal Length manifold at a fraction of the price.

He also tested some manifolds on his car and they nearly all blew eventually. That's why he went back to the OEM ones and had them ported & polished and they were 100% reliable.

Frawls

[quote author=FRAWLS link=topic=4851.msg53137#msg53137 date=1199887753]
Martin Tracey in Westward Engineering can port and polish the standard OEM Scooby Unequal Length manifold for you. Andy Forrest Recommended to do this rather than fit expensive equal length manifolds as the ported OEM manifold was only 4 to 5 bhp less that a full stainless steel GT Spec Unequal Length manifold at a fraction of the price.

He also tested some manifolds on his car and they nearly all blew eventually. That's why he went back to the OEM ones and had them ported & polished and they were 100% reliable.

Frawls
[/quote]

The Megan and Ebay are the ones that blow apart and there the ones Andy blew, The GT Spec Gen II are a proper manifold and I havent seen or heard of any failures yet. Still uses a them in some form or another on the race car, or he did anyway. Unless you mean the standard equel length ones which seem to be superior to the single scroll ones alright.

It really depends on your power level. If your on a small turbo and maxing it anyway theres no gain. At a certain level up you start to see very good gains once mapped. I dont think id bother porting the OEM ones if it was my car.

Damo

[quote author=forester sti link=topic=4851.msg53086#msg53086 date=1199838832]
agree 110%  :thumbsup:
Even if I bought a scooby with equels as standard, ie. spec c or my08 sti I'd spend the €1000 odd yoyos to get unequels back and a remap!
Dan
[/quote]

Will admit I love the unequal rumble - and my exhaust is certainly loud enough to hear  ;)

But the more I hear the roar of a decatted Spec C the more I like it, very rally car noise & I believe Micks S204 is even sweeter again, he was well behaved at the last night meet so I didn't really get a chance to hear this for myself  :dunno:

[quote author=STI Brian link=topic=4851.msg53457#msg53457 date=1199966945]
[quote author=forester sti link=topic=4851.msg53086#msg53086 date=1199838832]
agree 110%  :thumbsup:
Dan
[/quote]

Will admit I love the unequal rumble - and my exhaust is certainly loud enough to hear  ;)

But the more I hear the roar of a decatted Spec C the more I like it, very rally car noise & I believe Micks S204 is even sweeter again, he was well behaved at the last night meet so I didn't really get a chance to hear this for myself  :dunno:
[/quote]

I love the aftermarket equel lenght sound, At high up it sounds like a super bike.

Hello Lads,

As Damo said, JDM 2.0lt twin-scroll / equal length manifold cars do sound nice at high RPM with an after market exhaust  :thumbsup:

Not your usual sound but V.Nice IMO  :D

Cheers,

Michael

lads im not really into mechanics :dunno:[ headers , scrolling , twin scrolling and the likes] but i was behind a certain s204 down m50 at meet .  i tried to to stop it but every time it took off [s204] i blew my sex wee. wow :shock: :shock:
bar being at start of a stage, that yok makes some noise. :clap:
sure half of ballymun was woke up :angry:
well in ! but sure u get wat u pay for! :worship:

@Renno I was referring to the Megan Headers and the E Bay ones. The Gt Spec and the Gruppe M headers are the ones Andy Recommends.

Andy's MY 03 wrx made 325 bhp and 330 ib/ft on a td 04h with the oem headers ported and polished so I think it was worthwhile doing it as the spool up time on the TD04h left the TD05 16g for dead according to his in-gear time tests. His article and data is in Scooby magazine (issue 3 I think).

For sure the Gt Spec and the Gruppe M headers make sense for big power applicactions in the same way as the cold air induction kit does but I've always admired Litchfield for leaving the STI TMIC and air box alone. They do offer a cold air kit via the front fog light and I'm sure of you asked nicely they would also do a FMIC but it seems the standard one is good for a lot more than bhp that most people ever thought.

Speaking of Gruppe M I saw one of their carbon fiber induction kits on MY 02 Civic Type R recently complete with mini bonnet scoop that attaced to the top of the bonnet opening just under the windscreen wipers. It made some sound but cost an eye watering eur 900. It was a professionally sorted Type R though with a full Magnex exhaust system and a remap. I was told it put out 225 bhp. Not bad for a non turbo motor and seriously good to drive but the rock hard suspension would bring a tear to your eye and a pain to your arse :lol:

Back