Engine swap experience

Conor.byrn

Hey all!

have a question regarding engine swapping a Subaru and then re registering it with the tax office. Currently have an NA 2 liter Ej204 and was looking at putting a turbocharged engine into it.
Just wondering has anyone done this before? And if so what are the steps involved to get the car registered again as a turbo charged 2 liter ?

also any recommendations for someone to source an engine / do the swap

Thanks!

If you have to source a turbo engine and probably pays someone to do the swap I doubt it will be economically viable. I'd certainly do the sums compared to a car that's already a turbo version etc. As with regards reregistering, need an authorised engineer's report (main dealer or other "authorised engineer"). Not always so easy to come by if they didn't get to do the work, unless you know someone willing to help / do a favour. Then you send it in to Shannon with the report and correct vehicle change report and the book... should come back corrected then with new engine number and tax bracket etc.

You basically need a donor car. I wouldn’t dream of it myself and I could do it myself.. can’t imagine paying someone to do it

As above, a donor car would be the best option.

For most swaps you would need suitable gearbox inc driveshafts and possibly diff.

ECU, dash clocks, loom, radiator and perhaps different fuel tank and pump.

Throttle and / or pedal box if drive by wire.

Larger brakes would also be recommended for uprated power.

The above is not Subaru specific but you get the idea. . More or less parts than the above may be required.

Unless you can do everything yourself and all you have to buy is the parts then it can be done but it won’t be cheap . If your paying for the work to be done forget about it . It it will cost way to much

Back