Cylinder 4 cooling mod

enda

Seems to be getting alot more popular lately on social media over the pond, any over this side done it ? Or is it an issue on the USDM ej with cyl4 running hotter ? I though that was down to the unequal manifold 🤔

Not a good upgrade by all accounts . All it does it take coolant from the top cross over pipe . Iv attached a link from Scooby net And a photo from a lad who knows what he’s talking about running a track Subaru for 20 years .
To be honest and it’s just my opinion but Some lad in the arse hole of no where added a little pipe and a t piece and diverted coolant around suddenly knows better that Subaru Engineers who spent millions in developing the best most efficient cooling system for the engine .
I know who I’m trusting .

Attachments

• CF70B4B6-46F1-47E6-BE6F-37A708695DB9.png
    CF70B4B6-46F1-47E6-BE6F-37A708695DB9.png
    347.4 KB · Views: 12
Reason why cylinder 4 may run hotter is to do with the way the fuel rail is set up from the factory (my mapper told me).
As the 4th injector is the last on the rail, under heavy load, or sudden hard acceleration it can run a bit leaner than intended (as injector 1-3 get fuel first and takes a second for the fuel pump to catch up) and hence run hotter.
He said proper fix for this, especially for a car which does regular track days etc, is replacing fuel rail system with two rails (one for each side) and two fuel pressure regulators (2 stock will do). For road going cars that don't get track use he just maps in a bit extra fuel on the 4th injector under heavy load or sudden acceleration to allow for it and that fixes it too.
He said is nothing to do with the cooling system (although, again for trackday use, etc he recommended upgrading the factory radiator as it isn't able to cool at WOT for any length of time and has a weak point in the form of the plastic header.

Back