COLD AIR INTAKE

conorob123

ISDC Club Member
I have owned a 2004 blobeye WRX for just over a year now. Im thinking of taking out the original air box for a cold air intake? Is this a good idea? I know EJs dont like extra power and i am aware the cold air intake would obviously raise the boost pressure. Is this a good idea? And if so what cold air intake would ye recommend?

Attachments

• 4A3EB855-636E-4739-86E2-98A5AE3CB544.jpeg
    4A3EB855-636E-4739-86E2-98A5AE3CB544.jpeg
    340.5 KB · Views: 11
The standard air box is the best cold air intake as it’s a sealed box taking its air from the front of the car. An after market intake will not raise the boost at all on it’s own you’ll need it remapped for that.
To be honest if you just fit an intake and nothing else it will make zero difference to the power . A k&n panel filter and a map should see a small increase in power

The standard air box is the best cold air intake as it’s a sealed box taking its air from the front of the car. An after market intake will not raise the boost at all on it’s own you’ll need it remapped for that.
To be honest if you just fit an intake and nothing else it will make zero difference to the power . A k&n panel filter and a map should see a small increase in power
This

The only benefit of a cold air intake is the induction noise, really.

Agreed. Nice K&N or even like a Blitz panel filter will do best, for two reasons,
As said above, they have cold air directed from the grill through the intake in the wing,
Second, better filtration too.
They're only really needed if going front mount IC really. You can get more induction noise if you remove the resonator in the wing, you'll still be getting colder air from the wing rather than sucking warm air from the engine bay

My 2 cents:
1. If you want a cold air intake for a bit more fun/noise etc, do it as it's your car and it's meant to be enjoyed :)
2. Just the cold air intake without mapping should be fine.
3. "EJs don't like extra power" - I beg to differ :) Have a look at my thread if you want to get ideas of how far a stock EJ motor can be pushed.
4. Recommendations for a cold air intake - I have a K&N Typhoon as I liked the sound and the looks. It comes with a heat shield and any of them with a heat shield will help preventing the intake sucking in warm/hot air from the engine bay. Pick a decent branded one and you shouldn't have any issues.
5. A decent halfway measure is a K&N Panel filter which will be a lot cheaper than a full air intake system.

Bottom line, it's your car and enjoy it :)

Back