clutch pedal freeplay

gabriel42

Hi, these forums are great.
does anyone know how to adjust the clutch pedal freeplay? the cars manual shows it should be no more than half an inch, checked mine just there it's exactly 1 inch.

Down at the pedal there’s a bolt but it shouldn’t really need adjustment. Have you changed the clutch recently

I haven't no, this is my first subie I bought it 3 months back but the clutch freeplay is noticeably longer than the previous car I owned.
either way what do you think? the manual says half an inch 0.5, I measured it today it's 1 inch. but then again the manual hasn't been right about spark plugs recently for example the recommended for the N/A engine was wrong for my n/a 1.5r 2007 subie, it takes the turbo models spark plugs recommended by the manual so I don't know what to think of the freeplay for the clutch too
to me I think a shorter freeplay would be better and the clutch would feel better, right now it doesn't feel all that great.
thanks

If you’re not having issues disengagement of the clutch as in grinding gears with the peddle fully down , wouldn’t worry to much about the free play .
When was the last time the fluid was changed? Or even the clutch itself?
Be more worried about that

If you’re not having issues disengagement of the clutch as in grinding gears with the peddle fully down , wouldn’t worry to much about the free play .
When was the last time the fluid was changed? Or even the clutch itself?
Be more worried about that
I've no idea if the fluid was ever changed and the clutch most likely never has been, It's done 160k kms so far and I've owned it for 3 months, as far as issues with disengagement the clutch itself doesn't feel great I'm thinking if the clutch release was longer and the freeplay shorter it would feel alot better but Idk, reverse gear grinds if I'm not careful with it but that's probably due to other factors

Reverse dose that on Subaru’s . If you put it in first how far do you let the pedal out before it starts moving

Reverse dose that on Subaru’s . If you put it in first how far do you let the pedal out before it starts moving
really, so nothing wrong with the reverse gear, Just a manufacturer fault? not sure never payed attention before, not too far anyway

For what it's worth I almost always have to double-press in the clutch to get reverse in smoothly, was the same before and after I got a new clutch.

Was paranoid about it and then read this (and a few others) https://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1358608
bit of relief so, honestly had no idea until today. thanks, but I haven't seen anyone talk about grinding gear sounds from the reverse gear in that forum is this also normal? or is it just my car.
honestly I've gotten in a habit by now to be careful with reverse I always put it in gently and if it doesn't want to go in, back to neutral and try again, when I first got it the gear was grinding 50% of the time until I started being more careful with it

I wouldn't say mine grinds - at least once it's in gear it's smooth as can be, but it can be a bit sticky getting reverse gear into place from stopped, and that does feel a bit clackey (guess you could call it grinding) and you can definitely hear it from outside as well.

I wouldn't say mine grinds - at least once it's in gear it's smooth as can be, but it can be a bit sticky getting reverse gear into place from stopped, and that does feel a bit clackey (guess you could call it grinding) and you can definitely hear it from outside as well.
hm maybe my car does have a problem so, of course once it's in no problem at all. but trying to get it into reverse the gear can grind if I'm not careful, like properly gear grinding sound and everything. either way I think I'll be alright been careful with it lately and seems to be fine in terms of grinding other than that same stuff sometimes it won't go in

Reverse has no synchro on the 5 speeds .
It can be tricky to get it in ( she said ) but I found if I went into first and then reverse it always went in smoothly .

I wouldnt be adjusting the peddle , would look at the fluid change first

Reverse has no synchro on the 5 speeds .
It can be tricky to get it in ( she said ) but I found if I went into first and then reverse it always went in smoothly .

I wouldnt be adjusting the peddle , would look at the fluid change first
heard about that, I'll look into the fluid before anything

Back