Clutch judder

doggy

Obviously these kind of things are hard to diagnose or get advice on over an internet forum but here goes. Long story short: car (05 WRX, no mods, 137k miles) has been off the road since 2014, I did a cleanup of the chassis, replaced shocks, refurbished brakes etc. with a view to getting it on the road. It just needed a timing belt and clutch before NCT. Standard 'blue' Exedy clutch and second hand flywheel in good condition, both supplied by Ali Burrows (really efficient service, top notch) fitted by local mechanic. Car passed NCT today (woohoo) but... there's a bit of clutch judder when moving off initially, and I'm getting 2 bits of conflicting advice: 1) It'll only get worse so sort it out now and 2) it'll bed in after a while.

What's people's experience with this?

Thanks in advance

Was the fly wheel skimmed Before being put in . As blue box exedy don?t judder usually . And what was wrong with your own fly wheel

No, the flywheel wasn't skimmed but seemed fine.

My own flywheel was original and appeared to wear from the rivets in the worn clutch so there was no point putting a new clutch with that flywheel

Hi before I got mine done it was on original clutch since new. bite point was high up in peddle juddered a bit starting off what went in new blue box clutch original flywheel skimmed now no judder it?s perfect to avoid judder it?s a must to decrease chances with getting flywheel skimmed you shouldn?t have it being blue one from me reading up on them

You should Always skim the flywheel it?s 40-50 euros in the grand scheme of things .i always do the rear crank seal and pinion/spigot bearing in the flywheel too and it?s only 70 euros for both .

it might settle down , how many klm have you done since it was put in

You should Always skim the flywheel it?s 40-50 euros in the grand scheme of things .i always do the rear crank seal and pinion/spigot bearing in the flywheel too and it?s only 70 euros for both .

it might settle down , how many klm have you done since it was put in

Yeah, ideally I would have but it was a case of using local mechanic and there was no nearby places that skimmed them. It literally just got NCT'd today so it's done about 50km. A possible option is to do a couple hundred km and see if it settles down then bite the bullet, get it taken out and skimmed, albeit there will have been some wear on the clutch in the meantime

Do a few hundred km in it it might settle down.

Really the flywheel should have Been machined before fitting.

Looks in great condition :thumbsup: but you can see all the high spots, skimming it leaves a fresh flat surface for the new clutch plate . It might settle after a 2-300 klms of not then you may pull it and skim .

That flywheel would definitely benefit with a skim and it will take a little more than 0.5 mm to get to the bottom of those hard spots. If you do take it out again skim the flywheel, then get the cover plate and flywheel balance checked. Exedy cover plates can be out by quite a bit. I had to add 18 grams to two of the six securing bolts on relatively fresh Pink box Exedy cover plate.

Back