cleaning brake calipers - advice

edcoyle1

Hi Folks,

front calipers on the wrx are quite rough, tried seveal off the shelf products to clean them like alloy wheel cleaner, tar remover etc using a tooth brush and other brushes but no joy..... any advice would be appreciated ..

1643479619043.png

I done that job on my last car.... tedious but enjoyable lol
Granted, I sprayed them too but the surface under the new paint was much better anyway.
Not saying this is the correct way, but it worked for me.
Clean calipers down with wheel brush to get heavy shite off.
Wire wool also, good stuff to be fair.
Used 2 products, Bilt Hamber Iron Fallout Remover, let it soak for a good bit, but not dry on
Rinse
Then an Autoglym All Purpose Cleaner mixed fairly strong (1:4 I think? Maybe 1:3, can't remember...)
Rinse
Repeat again if needed

I got mine down to a fairly good silvery finish with this, smooth too with the wire wool, they were not perfect, but I was spraying as I said so it wasn't an issue, but I'm sure with enough elbow grease you could get them looking A1

If that fails, you could take them off and get them blasted, but you will probably need new seals and pistons and what not to be safe afterwards in case any sand or glass beads got into those areas
Got that done also before, think was 80 for the blasting

I done that job on my last car.... tedious but enjoyable lol
Granted, I sprayed them too but the surface under the new paint was much better anyway.
Not saying this is the correct way, but it worked for me.
Clean calipers down with wheel brush to get heavy shite off.
Wire wool also, good stuff to be fair.
Used 2 products, Bilt Hamber Iron Fallout Remover, let it soak for a good bit, but not dry on
Rinse
Then an Autoglym All Purpose Cleaner mixed fairly strong (1:4 I think? Maybe 1:3, can't remember...)
Rinse
Repeat again if needed

I got mine down to a fairly good silvery finish with this, smooth too with the wire wool, they were not perfect, but I was spraying as I said so it wasn't an issue, but I'm sure with enough elbow grease you could get them looking A1

If that fails, you could take them off and get them blasted, but you will probably need new seals and pistons and what not to be safe afterwards in case any sand or glass beads got into those areas
Got that done also before, think was 80 for the blasting
Tks Eoin, that should keep me busy for a while😀 I’ll give that a go and hopefully they’ll look much better, thanks again.. Ed

Good advice there. I'd say it's a function of the casting of the caliper leaving the finish like that versus a painted/lacquered finish

Back