CEL on and cannot read code - 2005 WRX

jimgti

Hi All,

So hadn't driven the car in a few days so took it around the corner to do the weekly shopping in Dunnes. Car started fine and drove as normal, or so I thought. But noticed that the revs on idle where higher than expected and were not dropping, staying around 2000 rpm. Thought it might be the idle control valve, but had cleaned that recently enough. Just as I was swinging into the underground parking when the CEL came on and revs then were dropping and rising between 1500-2000rpm on idle.

Got car back to the house and bought a code reader today (Argos job, https://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/9112449/Trail/searchtext>STREETWISE.htm).

When I plugged it in it did not power up no matter what I tried (ignition on, etc.), so I tried it on the Mrs Golf and it powered up straight away. I did not test the code reader any further than that on the Golf.

So any ideas as to why I am not getting the reader to power up even? Fuse for the OBDII port? Or is it a common thing for people to put in dummy OBD's, etc. (have heard of lads doing that with mk2 Focus ST's, as can start them through the OBD)? I saw a connector block near by not connected to anything. I did not spend long as is raining and I am meant to be at work :D So will try later.

Or is my symptoms a common problem that can be diagnosed without the reader :)

Thanks all.

Code Reader Support.jpg

What my reader supports. Think from a quick Google it should work. Guessing it should power up at least.

Thanks.

Attachments

• Code Reader Support.jpg
    Code Reader Support.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 33
Very strange that works in other car and not the subaru.

Is there any way to see if odb is getting a current when ignition on that will prob tell if odb has been moved ect.

Not familiar with that reader use Bluetooth odb myself and Toqure Pro app for years always works leds light up on it soon as I plug it it

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

The reader i have is a autel maxidiag elite the best litte yoke i ever bought it dont need the ignition on to power up if thats helps .

No reason why it shouldn't read , had a few cheap ones and they have always worked . But strange it worked on the golf . Unless there a loose wire somewhere .

Got it to work with a little wiggle and was idle control valve. Gave that a good clean and back to normal again

Thanks all

Great to hear its sorted and an easy fix man, happy days. Motor on ????????

Got it to work with a little wiggle and was idle control valve. Gave that a good clean and back to normal again

Thanks all[/QUOTE

Probably time to replace the icv as it is giving you a bit of bother, second one from any decent breaker for about 40 euro,

Glad it was only icv, ????

Cheers. Ya thinking that. If goes again I?ll replace it. Might be no harm get ready for that eventually. Anyway thankfully nothing serious with it.

Last time I cleaned it as Preventative Maintenance so obviously that went well :ponder2: :icon_grin:

Back