car storage question

JOHNNY T

ISDC Club Member
alright lads im putting my rs into storage next week and im just wondering is there anything i should dissconnect or take off besides the battery and the maf maybe :dontknow:
it will be off the road until jan or feb of next year and the last thing i want is to have to fork out for new parts whenever im putting it back on the road...
cheers.....

Battery and maybe take the plugs out.

I left my type R parked up for a year without doing a thing. All it had was a flat battery and 4 flat tyres and a truck load of spiders upon my return, other than that it started first time.

as above ,disconnect the battery negative and if you have axel stands take the wheels off so the tyres arent fooked

Is it going into a shed?? I suppose a good breathable cover to keep the paintwork... Disconnect battery... if you can get the tyres off the ground incase they get all perished and cracked from sitting. Theres things you can put inside that soak up moisture inside.. little balls of stuff cant think of the name for them. Plug the exhaust cos i had a motorbike sitting up for a while and a mouse thought it would be good to build his house in there :lol:.

Are you going to be able to turn the engine every so often???

its goin into a warehouse and not goin to be seen or touched until after xmas,
i have a cover for it that i got in argos ages ago so ill through that over it.....
i couldnt be bothered about putting it on axle stands really....
cheers lads :thumbsup:

Worth putting in up on stands to be honest. I had to fork out for 4 new tyres when putting mine back on the road. Mine was started and driven every few weeks hence I didnt put it up on stands.

If its not goin to be started it might be an idea to line the cylinders with a bit of engine oil... id do that with anything thats going to be sitting up anyway.

id do somthing with the fuel system too as petrol can go off... maybe drain it if ya can.

If the tyres are almost gone well then i wouldnt bother with stands but if there good then i would definitaly put her up on stands

It'll be a sad day for ya Johnny!are you not going to bring it out for the Lakes?surely one last spin up the gap before she starts gathering dust?

Anyway best of luck with it.hopefully she will be well looked after in her new home for the next couple of months :thumbsup:

[quote author=daveR link=topic=22386.msg270564#msg270564 date=1270049384]
It'll be a sad day for ya Johnny!are you not going to bring it out for the Lakes?surely one last spin up the gap before she starts gathering dust?

Anyway best of luck with it.hopefully she will be well looked after in her new home for the next couple of months :thumbsup:
[/quote] i actually done the gap last friday afternoon :whistle: and if i got bored with drivin a non turbo car i can always go for a blast in the brothers blobeye wrx :roll:

Where did you end up getting storage Johnny?
I actually need storage for my old BMW e30 at the moment. The engine packed in in her, and I'm after buying a Skoda Octavia VRS as my daily run around.
PM me if you don't want to be posting where your car will be.

Back