c.b radio and aerial !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

JPtypeRA

Petrolheads
ISDC Club Member
as above lads just wondering if someone had aloan of one for going over to japfest

would really appreciate it , pm or give me a call 0861920921

thanks jp :subaru:

[quote author=keith dublin link=topic=14117.msg174717#msg174717 date=1238860605]
Think northdublin has a few :dontknow:
[/quote]

i have two here but not sure about there reliability. ive been tryin to get a dummy load to test them but i have an swr meter here that might gimme an idea if they have an out put.
idealy ied like to have someone nearby to test it with. these radios get burned out quickly when they are goin from car to car with out the swr being changed which is what i think has happened to mine. ill test them in a while and if there workin ye can have a lend of both incase one packs in.
ive been looking into getting a loads of one type of radios for such events but was thinking along the lines of pmr446 instead of cb. i dont think it would be a bad idea for the club to own say about ten radios for use on official events by its members

[quote author=northdublin link=topic=14117.msg174726#msg174726 date=1238862325]
[quote author=keith dublin link=topic=14117.msg174717#msg174717 date=1238860605]
Think northdublin has a few :dontknow:
[/quote]

i have two here but not sure about there reliability. ive been tryin to get a dummy load to test them but i have an swr meter here that might gimme an idea if they have an out put.
idealy ied like to have someone nearby to test it with. these radios get burned out quickly when they are goin from car to car with out the swr being changed which is what i think has happened to mine. ill test them in a while and if there workin ye can have a lend of both incase one packs in.
ive been looking into getting a loads of one type of radios for such events but was thinking along the lines of pmr446 instead of cb. i dont think it would be a bad idea for the club to own say about ten radios for use on official events by its members
[/quote]

Good Idea there Mick, Maybe a group buy on PMR446? More channels to choose from and a bit of security.
If we all got them, it'd be great craic :icon_headbang:

tbh i was lookin at buyin a load myself to have there for the club. most pmr 446 are hand held and not suitable for driving, i was thinking more along the lines of mobile radios with propper antennas. hand held pmr radios dont have the range needed for driving, especially over the range of a convoy.
anyway back on topic........ive just had a look at the radios and couldnt find anything wrong, both have output but ive no way of testing modulation, i did however find a fault, the same fault in both antennas i have so im hoping it was these all along that were giving the problem. ive re-soldered the antennas and used hot glue to rectify the fault.
the radios are here for the op and ye can take both radios and antennas.

thanks tony but no need, i just had them set up in the car in the garden and got talkin to some lad, i was talkin to him from rush all they way untill he went down onto the m1 at balbriggan and he wants to buy them off me. :653: but im not sellin them, so i have two fully workin radios with antennas. one is for jp and there is a spare one there.

[quote author=STi Brian link=topic=14117.msg174782#msg174782 date=1238872431]
me mick? :pray:
[/quote]

sorted brian, it was the antennas that were the problem the last time ye had them.

just in relation to the set up of cb radios, the antenna that you connect to a cb is pre tuned for that band but they still should be calibrated using and swr meter. this meter mesures the ammout of signal reflected back down the coax into the radio, to much of this reflection means the swr ratio is high and will damage the radio. even something like moving the antenna from the boot to the roof could upset the balance. the radios i have are not perfectly tuned but thats because they go from car to car but anyone who uses their cb a lot would need to have the swr checked to prevent wreckin their radio :thumbsup:

yeah ye can buy an swr meter in most communication shops. a lot of the high end cbs have them built in which is handy. the 40 channels on a cb are on a perticular band to which cb antennas are tuned for, so you test it on ch 20 which is half way, this give a good reading over the 40 channels.
in relation to antennas i know most subaru owners would like the smallest antenna posible on their car but with cb bigger is better. a quarter wavelenght antenna which is what most cb antennas are should be about 8.5 feet tall, but they shorten it by making part of the antenna a coil on in some cases a spring.
i have a meter here scania so if yer near dublin gimme a shout

Back