Buying Subaru = Money pit

that_white_gc8

How’s things everyone, recently bought my white Impreza GC8 wrx sti with a few nice bits under the bonnet. It’s on Uk plates at the minute and awaiting vrt, I have a quote from vrt calculator for what looks to be the same model as mine but if anyone has anymore information on this please let me know. Also heard there’s a 23% Uk tax or something? The car was brought to the north of Ireland from Uk mainland in December so I’m not sure if I qualify for it as it was in Ireland before brexit? Also any more info would be greatly appreciated! Really can’t wait to get it all road legal and get it out on the road it’s killing me having it parked up!

Attachments

• 2E160001-EB58-4D83-AFA1-1042E905E3B3.jpeg
    2E160001-EB58-4D83-AFA1-1042E905E3B3.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 44
  • 62522F4F-5FF0-4DEA-AF6A-05D7AF4DF9E9.jpeg
    62522F4F-5FF0-4DEA-AF6A-05D7AF4DF9E9.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 44
  • 8C8275DB-A7F0-48F1-9378-AE111458BEFF.png
    8C8275DB-A7F0-48F1-9378-AE111458BEFF.png
    344.2 KB · Views: 44
Welcome. What is the model code of the car? (model code can be found on silver vin plate on LHS suspension tower)
If its a genuine STi you will not find a quote on the calculator as these are originally only available one the Japanese market.
If you have evidence that the car was in the north prior to 01/01/2021 then you should escape the VAT & duty element.

Tha
Welcome. What is the model code of the car? (model code can be found on silver vin plate on LHS suspension tower)
If its a genuine STi you will not find a quote on the calculator as these are originally only available one the Japanese market.
If you have evidence that the car was in the north prior to 01/01/2021 then you should escape the VAT & duty element
Thank you for the info, I’ll have to check the silver plate under the bonnet as I only have a vin number handy, that’s good news about the vat and duty element, just need to check the car and will get back to you with the model type.
thanks again

Also forgot to mention, I’m having an absolute nightmare of a time trying to insure the car, as I’m only 25 and only am named on a commercial policy a lot of places don’t want to entertain me. Has anyone any info or help on this? I’ve tried all the usuals, like abbey auto line and Axa aswell as many other “classic car” insurnaces

As far as I know, you have to be 30 years old to get classic insurance. The car is old enough on the other hand...
But a lot of companies are gone very picky with it. They're a pretty modern car for 20 years old like.
On another note , I wouldn't take any notice of what's on the revenue calculator lol
I'd expect to pay 4 or 5 times what that quote says being honest 🤔
Tis a lotto lately with it

The quote you have is for uk model.
You may be lucky and they might think its uk model but its unlikely , i assume its jap?
Its hard see what model it is as it looks a mix and match
a bill of under 3k for your vrt nox + import duities would be a good result

Did you not work out all these costs before you purchased it?

The quote you have is for uk model.
You may be lucky and they might think its uk model but its unlikely , i assume its jap?
Its hard see what model it is as it looks a mix and match
a bill of under 3k for your vrt nox + import duities would be a good result

Did you not work out all these costs before you purchased it?
I still haven’t had time to get over to the car and check the plate under the bonnet to find out exactly what model it is, however it’s definitely jap but been in Uk since 2006 so god knows what will happen with vrt. Of course I had worked out the cost of vrt and I know that japs lately have been absolute telephone numbers I was just hoping I’d get lucky with it and want as much info as possible before I go to vrt next Sunday. If I got anything under 3k I’d say I was doing very well also! Insurance seems to be the biggest problem to be honest… I’m having no luck at all, I got my mother to insure it with auto line for €350 and tried to them name me after we took out the policy and they weren’t having that either🤦🏼‍♂️ I think I need to go down the worst route possible and buy a car now, insure it and then drive the impreza on a third party extension, which trust me is not ideal in the slightest, however I don’t want to have to go down the insurance bureau route with 3 declines and then try get a price as that just seems messy from what I’ve heard and you’ll still end up getting quotes crazy money.

I had the same trouble as yourself. I had no policy under my name either and couldn’t get insured. My friend a mechanic had a car laying around, I opened up an insurance policy with that one, a few weeks later I changed it over to the Impreza without any hassle. Even if you have only just opened your own insurance policy you should be able to get a quote to fully insure you on the Impreza. Hope this is useful.
Lovely Impreza 👌🏼

If the mileage is below a certain amount (cant remember what it was) they will charge VAT, i was stung with my VTR Firestorm when i VRT'd last year, online quote was few hundred quid, but because it had 6k miles on an after market speedo they loaded the VAT onto it, 350 quid extra (feckers) i had to print off a reg check to verify mileage and appeal the VAT loading, i got my money back without issue.

Lovely car by the way, i paid 1360 for VRT for my 99 Turbo 2000 last year, the guy told me its the right time to bring these in as VRT on them will skyrocket 😔

Back