Bug/Blob buying guide

DaveSleggy

So im hopefully gonna be in the market for a sti in the not to distant future.

My Saab is getting its NCT next wednesday and then shes straight up for sale and im getting back to more noise and less mpg.

Il have in or around 5k (depending on how much i get for mine) to spend on one, i can always go a little higher for the right one.

But what are the things to look out for, signs and symptoms of a bad one? Theres a few out there with high milage, whats the wear like on the engines? is there much left at over 100k miles, or are we getting into heavy maintance?

And also anyone know anyone who wants to buy a saab ;)

Any help/advice appreciated guys.

Cheers

Dave

Last edited:
Good idea getting rid of the saab, i had a lovely 93 vector sport for a while but it broke my heart. Cost me a fortune on parts alone! Lovely comfortable car though

Anyways i think you're a little bit out of range for a blob sti for 5k anyways. My advice to you when buying one is to buy at the very very top of your budget. That means you are probably getting a newer, less mileage, more maintained car than an older one. Thats not to say that all older ones arent any good either. But thats what i done buying mine, there was a 03 sti up for more money than my 06 widetrack and it had big mileage and apparently was fairly rough around the edges. Not to say it was a bad car or anything but shop around before you buy

Best of luck with the sale and search

Good idea getting rid of the saab, i had a lovely 93 vector sport for a while but it broke my heart. Cost me a fortune on parts alone! Lovely comfortable car though

Yeah tell me about it, i bought the 93 aero a while back dumped a whole lead of money into it, exhausts, lights, suspension, fuel pump ect ect got the nct and im totally done with it now, its annoyed me too much to keep!

Yeah a nice one is very hard to come by iv txtd most of the ones on DD and they either have zero service history or have astronomical milage, or both. One of the lads i know bought pauls black 01 sti there a while ago i might try convince him to part with it!

Imo and from experience there is no formula.

As above 5k will not get you a blobeye.

Nor will it get you a bugeye that is not due some type of work.

Buying wise you have the same basics as every car.

Knocks rattles. Leaks etc.

Example.

We have a 2 owner. Irish bought 2003 Impreza STi new car.

Absolutely fully standard. Not a single aftermarket item.

70k miles.

Full Main Dealer history all the way through to 68k miles. And it looks as its history sugests. Lovely lovely clean example

And its down on compression on cylinder 2.

Now imo that above history prior to issue people would tell you and on forum and prob rightly so in good faith. 110% BUY IT!!

Its a 9k car and history like that is rare. And an Irish car.

It still had an issue.

These are mechanical machines.

If anyones expects to buy one. Without "chance" of issue. Then are kidding themselves.

Can you get lucky. And have one for 2 years and enjoy it. And only have to do bare service basics of the likes of a micra. Absolutely.

But thats the risk

Last edited:
Thanks Dave you do speak sense, the general theme does appear to be 5k is not a realistic start point so i might need to revisit my finances or maybe hit the credit union for another bit. Im not expecting to buy a minter that i wont have to ever spend a penny on as spending money on cars is the nature of the beast.

Out of interest what was the issue with the low compression? worn rings or seals?

Back