Brexit import charge

enda

Anyone buying from.the UK? Think twice, I just got charged 42% , some bull sh*t breakdown attached.

Total value was €220 inc post on 2nd hand car part

Attachments

• 20210111_200232.jpg
    20210111_200232.jpg
    5.3 MB · Views: 58
My understanding is that, including shipping costs, there should not be any VAT or duty charged on goods below €22 using any carrier.
Anything below €150 should not have any duty or VAT charged either but as far as I'm aware, only DHL and FedEx are on the ball with this.
The thing about buying from iCP or ScoobyWorld right now is that they don't charge you VAT if you're buying outside the UK.

The best thing for us to do going forward is just buying from EU stores online and once they start seeing more business I'm sure they'll start stocking more parts also with a lot of EU customers moving away from buying from the UK now.

I have been using german websites for the last while for mods for.the i30n, they are mostly cheaper than UK websites even before Brexit, for example.eibach pro fit lowering kit in uk is 256 sterling, 193 euro on german website including delivery for exact same product, google translate is great, 👍aud wiedersehen😂

Search your item and it will give you prices from every Amazon store in the EU and UK. Sometimes products don't ship from Germany or Spain but others can work out cheaper. Hopefully Amazon set up shop here. Chrome usually has an option to auto-translate.

EDIT: Not Subaru specific but can be a help for small things. I got rolls of tape etc

Last edited:
:plusone:
Been buying parts from DE, NL, PL, CZ for the past couple of years...
Better prices by a long shot over IE and UK... and typically better selection of parts too (not Subaru specific, but across all brands in general both OEM and aftermarket).
Only thing is that shipping can be dear if only buying a single (lower cost item)... then again I have seen plenty of cases were for example a 80 euro part plus 30 euro shipping still ended up being 40-60 cheaper than buying at trade motor factor (with trade discount) here in Ireland. A lot of the mainland supplier have been stocking a good selection of RHD parts (where different from LHD) for at least two years now.

Recent examples:
1) Full kit for Volvo D5 top end (rocker arms, hydraulic tappets, all seals and gaskets, new glow plugs and glowplug connectors with wiring, injector fitment kits), plus 3 engine mounts, all bushings, droplinks, ball joints, bonnet and boot gas struts, all fluids (autobox, ps, oil, coolant, diffs) and filters, rear discs/drums, shoes and pads plus park brake cables... 1665 abroad... cheapest quote IE was 2175 and list was 2740.
2) Glowplug control module for a Qashqai 1.5dci, List IE 149, discounted 119 --> abroad 72 euro... same part same brand... but obviously plus 30 shipping. Normally shipping not a big deal as try order stuff together, but in this case was stuck for it, but still came out ahead by 17.
3) VAG pneumatic control unit (one box with solenoids which controls egr, boost, brake booster etc), eye-watering 349 from stealers, 289 from factors, 125 abroad... all original VAG OEM...

Look at the mental margins taken by suppliers here... and keep in mind the suppliers abroad are not the St Vincent de Paul either, and obviously are making a margin too, and yet there are substantial (almost unbelievable) savings to be had. Time wise... sometimes you can get stuff quicker here... but not always as there is F'all stock held in country, so from experience I can say that regularly you are as quick ordering abroad and sometimes even quicker. * Just make sure it is the right parts you order and double triple check, as you can of course exchange parts but would be on the hook for the return shipping in most cases.

any links to these sites lads?
Abroad:
https://www.auto-onderdelen24.nl/ (all cars)
https://www.skandix.de/en/ (Volvo / Saab specific)
https://www.bosch-repair-service.com/ (all bosch ecu repairs)
http://www.bba-reman.com/nl/index.aspx (all ecu, abs, etc repairs -- used to deal with UK, but changed to NL recently... they have physical locations in several EU countries).

UK (for which I will have try find alternate suppliers)
https://www.haldexrepairs.co.uk/ (for all haldex bits)
https://www.ecutesting.com/ (ecu's, abs units, etc)

ah right , i thought you had a euro version of import car parts sorry.
Thanks anyway

Anyone buying from.the UK? Think twice, I just got charged 42% , some bull sh*t breakdown attached.

Total value was €220 inc post on 2nd hand car
Can I ask what your original purchase price in the UK was and did the seller charge you UK vat? Did you check out to see if import duty on the item you bought anywhere prior to purchasing?

I'm looking at buying a set of wheels from the UK and trying to work out what I might be charged when they arrive- ANY ADVICE WELCOMED.

From what I can make out the following should happen:
1. The seller should deduct the UK Vat from the purchase price.
2. I should be charged vat here at 21% by the courier company here.
3. There are supposed to be no import duty on wheels- meaning no major surprises
4. Pay the courier company for admin fees for working out the charges.

If anyone has done something similar recently I'd appreciate your thoughts.

Last edited:
Can I ask what your original purchase price in the UK was and did the seller charge you UK vat? Did you check out to see if import duty on the item you bought anywhere prior to purchasing?

I'm looking at buying a set of wheels from the UK and trying to work out what I might be charged when they arrive- ANY ADVICE WELCOMED.

From what I can make out the following should happen:
3. There are supposed to be no import duty on wheels- meaning no major surprises

If anyone has done something similar recently I'd appreciate your thoughts.

The way I see it,It's all still been teased out to a certain extent(without having pulled the trigger yet as i'm waiting to see how it goes)

If You are a business and have a vat number yes if not no,maybe that will change but most companies didnt excpect all this to happen so maybe enquire if that is teh case with the seller

Yes 21% and changing to 23% in april

10% duty on cars so i would guess same applies for wheels or car parts

varying charges it seems Endas seemed quiet high I thought

Buy from Europe would be a better suggestion if you can or wait a few weeks and see how it all goes,brexit seems to be an absolute car crash for everyone,ultimately we all end up paying more for everything we buy ,or shop around in europe and wait longer for stuff to arrive.

You pay duty and vat on anything that is not in the e.u. and enters the e.u.,duty is also been called a tariff so its a loose term and not sure if 10% across the board,but should be the same now as getting stuff from Japan aside from shipping cost would probably be the easiest way to figure it out

if its not made in the uk look for it elsewhere

Funny had expensive parts coming from Russia nothing charged by customs. But 10 - 30 euro items from UK got stopped 🤔

Purchased items from eBay and seller said there would be no extra charges here as all the paperwork work be correct so 🤞 I hope not as its big money 😳

Last edited:
I was researching things more last night again and from what I can see if a seller in the UK is VAT registered they should remove the UK Vat from the purchase price & when the item is delivered through a courier here in Ireland the Irish VAT should be applied- basically meaning the purchase price of the item should be pretty much the same.....

Then you have to add in the import duty (owed to government)& admin fees to the couriers for dealing with all paperwork.

Attachments

• 20210214_123534.jpg
    20210214_123534.jpg
    403.3 KB · Views: 10
  • 20210214_123314.jpg
    20210214_123314.jpg
    294.3 KB · Views: 10
thats correct gary.
problem is stuff gets dear when you buy from non vat reg uk seller

I'll be buying from a VAT registered dealership. The problem I'm going to come across is that they themselves don't know what's involved and are reluctant to send stuff to here or Europe.

I was hoping to hear from lads here if they had bought stuff since January 1st to confirm my thoughts.

Back