Brake fluid

tomo

Petrolheads
Hi lads, would the Brembo brake fluid be ok for a bug wrx with standard 4pots brakes?

The dry boiling point?DERBP ? 260? ?( it is the minimum boiling point of new or unpolluted fluid)
The wet boiling point WERBP ?? 165?C (it is the minimum boiling point of a fluid containing a volume equaling 3.7% of water in the circuit.)
Viscosity = 1400 cSt max
Specifications: SAE J 1704, FMVSS 116, ISO 4925 Class 5

4XZE7Ac.jpg

If standard brakes (like you indicated) and standard pads and discs etc, for normal driving conditions... then that fluid is absolutely fine. DOT4 is specified in the manual and buying a well known brand fluid like Brembo means it will do the job.

If anything is uprated like pads/discs and car pushed to limits like on track days etc... then need to look at a more premium brake fluid with higher minimum boiling points (e.g. DOT4 Motul R600 / 660 etc, or alternatively DOT5.1 premium fluids --- but to get the best out of them would need to change fluid more regularly than with bog standard DOT4).

Thanks Keadeen, discs and pads are not standard so I may buy a better fluid then, would ATE TYP200 be much worse than Motul R600?

Not familiar with that ATE fluid so had to do a quick google there... says:
- 280 degrees dry boiling point
- 198 degrees wet boiling point

Motul RBF600:
- dry 312
- wet 195 min - 216 typical

Motul RBF660:
- dry 325
- wet 195 min - 205 typical

As you can see... there is quite a bit of difference between the properties of the different fluids.

If you do track days, or lots of mountain driving where you are often long on the brakes with little time between braking to let things cool, then go for the best one you can get (and you'll be hard pushed to do much better than the Motul RBF600/660).

If you just have a better than stock pad and it is a normal road driven car, that is not tracked of otherwise pushed hard for extended periods of time, then the Brembo fluid you posted would be fine as it is well in spec of the manual.

With normal road use standard good quality brake fluid will do fine... and the only thing that is important is that at least every other year you flush it. It attracts water which lowers the boiling point and that gives poor performance - a full flush every other year on a road car keeps it grand (mileage not that important as still need to do it if only small mileage done).

Last edited:
To be fair I?ve never seen Charles steer anyone wrong... fact!!
The man knows his apples from Oranges

But... not to offend either of you...

What do you intend doing with the said brake set up?

High temp fluid as Charles said comes into its own at very high temps.

On my old girl I ran her on rbf 600 on standard gold Brembo?s..
For years.

Please specify requirements and we will guide you.

All the fluid in the world, without proper pads,discs,etc.... won?t help.

Tell us what you want to do? :)

That brake fluid is perfect :thumbsup: No need for anything better, dot4 it's what came in them from the factory so is perfect :thumbsup:

Yes that kit it?s good have 1 myself :thumbsup: only problem is you need a different cap to screw on to your Brake bottle . So I had to buy the kit that comes with 10-12 caps do it does everything . Maybe you can order it with the cap for fitting the Subaru but not sure :thumbsup:

Yes that kit it?s good have 1 myself :thumbsup: only problem is you need a different cap to screw on to your Brake bottle . So I had to buy the kit that comes with 10-12 caps do it does everything . Maybe you can order it with the cap for fitting the Subaru but not sure :thumbsup:

You can also buy another cap, spurious or OEM, drill a hole in the top and feed the tube through.

I also watched this recently. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Af0SYcbzIbo

I have the Gunson Eezibleed but haven't used it on the Impreza, so can't advise if it comes with a cap to fit so may be doing the above myself.

Doesn?t really work like that John as the unit is pressurized by pumping and priming it to 1-1.2 bar Then open bleed nipples and blead the fluid . :thumbsup: Unsure how other oneswork but that 1 above is a good cheap system for occasional use

Back