Axle stands under blob

blacktar

Club Chairman
Staff member
ISDC Club Member
Where is best place to place axle stands front and back under a blob eye Impreza, cheers.

Personally have used the oem jack points...
It can be a fiddly to get jack to a strong enough place and still have space to place the stand under the oem jack point, but is possible and then leaves you loads of space to get at all vital bits for work.

I assume blob will be the same as hawk from underneath, so for getting the car jacked up, I use the differencials in front and back, and when its up, then I put the jack stands on the designed OEM spots.

Some ppl say, that using the differencials might not be the best idea, I have however seen official subaru guide that is provided to the services, and it was marked as one of the possible spots to use...

I use the rear diff on mine just get the rear on stands. Never any issue. Never sure sometimes where to put stand up front.

[quote author=Aaron link=topic=41134.msg1#msg1 date=1394907625]
I use the rear diff on mine just get the rear on stands. Never any issue. Never sure sometimes where to put stand up front.
[/quote]

Same as that very handy. On the front I put under the rear wishbone bushes

that's where i ended up putting them Baz. Always nervous about the front end not sure why. Rear is always easier. I don't trust the Jack Points under the skirts as they are really only for the stock jack that comes with the car. They are very weak and i folded one before got a good fright when working under the car.

Maybe next time someone is working on the car take a few photos from underneath so people can actually see where we put the stands, I will do it next time if no one has by then and make a sticky somewhere with them. Will help any first timers wanting to start doing some jobs on the car!

My sills are destroyed from previous idiots jacking it up during its many engine build attempts nothing I can really do about it

I'm always reluctant to jack under diffs, gearbox or engine etc.
Some are strong enough, but not all makes/models are equally strong and diff's and gearboxes are easily cracked... not to speak about denting sump which can result in killing oil pickup if not enough margin left between sump oil pickup (beware! as not easily visible and first thing you know about it is knock knock knock etc).

Like Barry I would go for the rear wishbone bushing at the front... and forward trailing arm / wishbone bushing pickup point as it is strong enough and unlikely to do damage and less likely to slip of jack too compared to diff etc.

Back