Attic / Roof Insulation

Alan The Wagon

Petrolheads
Gonna get stuck into this in the next week or two. In know theres a few diy heads on here, so was looking for some pointers i.e. the best insulation to use and thickness, gaps between the eaves, and any such hints and tips would be much appreciated lad's.

rock woll on special in b&q at the moment, put that between the joists and then a insulate that with some foil wrap which youll get in b&q too.

While you will get everything you need in woodies and b&q etc. I'd walk into your local building suppliers and tell them exactly what your after! They will have a range of products that will suit your needs!!!
B&Q etc have the same quality of products but I always find you tend to pay more in the larger chain stores than in local suppliers!

But I'd go with Duffmans suggestion as I have used the same product to do my parents atic! We also used polystyrene sheets to put between the joists above on the roof to keep a constant temp in the roof space aswell

no dont use rockwool there is new stuff called earth wool non itchy somes in 150 300 mil i done my house in 150 its brilliant stuff 10 bags for e180 in tennents builder supplies naas road

As above theres loads of different types fiberglass. rockwool. earthwool is handy cos the rolls are kinda pre cut to 400 and 200 mm all you have to do is tear which is very handy. Shop around for prices but b&q do good deals on insulation. Id put 200 mm thick insulation between the rafters and joists then roll another 200mm over it and youll be sorted

if youre house was built before 2002 you will qualify for a grant of up to 70% to insulate wall and attic space. when i got mine done got a quote of 1250 euro recieved 700 of a grant, might be worth youre while checking out

Put 12 inches of the stuff in attic last year , 6 inches between he rafters and overlayed another 6 in opposite direction to the rafters so no gaps , also done the external walls with 50mm insulation boards , massive difference in heat retention

[quote author=buckshot link=topic=32198.msg369232#msg369232 date=1320748731]
if youre house was built before 2002 you will qualify for a grant of up to 70% to insulate wall and attic space. when i got mine done got a quote of 1250 euro recieved 700 of a grant, might be worth youre while checking out
[/quote]

as mentioned if you can get the grant you might be better off getting someone to do it cos when you take your time into consideration you mightn't be saving that much :dontknow: if you are taking on with the job get that earthwool, its the cleanest but get a good mask anyway, a whole face mask with disposable overall would be best

PM me what you need my brother works as manager for tj o mahoneys and gets good prices and deliver to your door :thumbsup:

Back