Any ford mechanics on here

nivek4209

Petrolheads
Have a question for anyone with a good knowledge of fords
My 2010 2.0 tdci140 galaxy was failing to start intermittently last year and after 3 trips to the main dealer as it ws under warranty they fitted a new throttle body on ford uk s advice
Trouble free until last weekend the trouble has returned
Now it now what I'm looking at I've discovered the problem the butterfly inside the housing snaps shut under vacuum as soon as the key is turned off and it should drop open a few seconds later but sometimes it sticks shut
Them on the next restart there's no air flow and no start up
Ive cleaned it all out today and there's nothing to see wrong but if you close it manually sometimes it will stick
My question is can I block and leave off tHe vacuum line so it never closes I've tried it and it starts and stop fine I was just wondering are there any consequences to leaving it open
Any help would be great
And yes this part is probably still under warranty as its not fitted 12 months yet but I can't be arsed running to the dealer again and again until it fails under his care
After 3 visits last time it still hadn't done it with him nd it took around 20 attempts to start it at home

the problem you are having is not common but it is a known problem only real fix is to replace it and seeing as its under warrenty id go to a dealer with it . now a non official fix that I did to one is to get a very small self tapping screw and screw it into the throttle body immediately behind where the throttle flap is, just where the flap is slightly open not even a millimetre but enough to stop it being fully closed and thus it cant stick closed unorthodox I know but it worked for me on one

the purpose of it is to aid a clean turn off of the engine so it doesn't run on after you key off but also it is to restrict air into the engine when the ecu decides its time for a dpf regeneration .as the car is driving along at cruising speed the ecu will decide that the level off soot in the dpf is high enough to initialise a regen it knows this by a sensor called a differential pressure sensor which measures pressure either side of the dpf once sufficient back pressure is detected it will start regeneration , to do this the ecu will partially close the throttle flap ,increase fuel delivery and advance the injection timing the result of all this increases the temperature in the dpf dramaticallly to the correct temperature to burn off any soot and deposits that have built up on the filter when the differential pressure sensor sees that the filter is clean everything goes back to normal .all this is done and you wont even notice it as you drive it

no hassle man handiest way is just measure down the inside of the throttle body to the inner side of the flap and then measure the outside minus 1mm and screw it in :thumbsup:

Back