4.9% CO in NCT

that_white_gc8

Hi all, went for nct last night. Passed on everything except emmisons, the co vol is 4.9% which is absolutely sky high, I added dipotane to the petrol yesterday aswell as installing a high flow 200 cell cat. I’m surprised it’s so high but could be to do with the ESL ecu that’s in it, I can’t figure out who mapped it or when it was mapped even. Ideally I want to get this sorted before the 28 days retest time, but am I looking at getting a new ecu and re mapped or what’s my best way around this? Thanks In advance !

Have you got the standard ecu as when I had my classic with a simtek it would never pass with it, put the standard one in and oe cat and flew it everytime. Have you checked for exhaust leaks as well

Thanks for the reply No I don’t have standard ecu unfortunately, and I had only gotten the cat and a decat pipe made up few days before the test, they guy who made it said that the 200 cell cat passes on any classic he has fitted it to before, and I’m assuming he would have checked for leaks aswell. Does anyone know if there’s someone in Ireland who maps the esl ecu? Don’t really want to have to go down the route of new ecu?

"To assume is to make an a55 out of u and me...."

Seriously, listen to the guys... CO numbers like that has to be an exhaust / gasket leak... or short of that there being no cat at all and a poor map.
As you just got work done on the exhaust it could well be a lose joint, or an old reused gasket (should be new ones fitted either end of the downpipe with your new cat).

Also, dipetane is great for helping diesels pass emissions (and even then you'd want to have run at least one if not two full tanks with Dipetane through as it is most effective after cleaning out the combustion chamber/valve heads/piston crowns), but not that effective in improving petrol car emissions (especially if only ran it a short while on the mix it does little or nothing for a petrol engine)... also it lowers the RON rating of the fuel, so it can suddenly knock like hell and do damage to your engine if you have Dipetane in there and go on boost!

Ithink mine was the same 4.9 i,d swear i didn,t have leak but i did , i also think dipetane dont help i used a bottle of stuff called cataclean and it flew through.

By any chance did you leave the car running for a while waiting for the test?

I did this one year in my skyline. I roasted it the whole way to test centre but then sat it in at idle for 20 minutes while waiting for the test. The emissions were a massive fail and they had been perfectly low in previous years. Turned out to be huge carbon build up from sitting at idle for so long. It passed a week later without doing anything only a roast to the centre for re-test and shutting it off when I got there. It was perfect .

Best of luck sorting it

Well for the money I paid to get the exhaust done I should have gotten all nee gaskets and the whole thing should have been checked ! When I said assume I meant expected 🤣 okay, so I need to check the full exhaust System for leaks, that’s not to bad for the minute. And yes I did roast the car and left it running until the tester got into it so what your saying about co build up could be very possible! I’m going to get a freind with emmiesions tester to test it when cold or at least not as hot as it was. As for the dipotane I used a full bottle to a full tank thankfully haven’t heard any weird noises from the car but a lot of people are now telling me I shouldn’t have used it or at least not as much but the guy I got the exhaust done off told me to put the full bottle in?
thanks again lads really appreciate the help

Well, that's way too much Dipetane to put into a tank..unless you've like 100L tank in the car lol
What ever about putting a full bottle into a 1.4 Polo, I wouldn't do it with a turbo Subaru, or any turbo for that matter. It dilutes the petrol as said above and will bring down the RON rating of the fuel in the car, meaning the ECU will be expecting 95 and its not getting it = knock.
Not good.
Check for leaks and test the sensors be a good place to start. If you get it plugged and read the live data to see if all lambda etc are all in range. Take it from there then 😀

Well for the money I paid to get the exhaust done I should have gotten all nee gaskets and the whole thing should have been checked ! When I said assume I meant expected 🤣 okay, so I need to check the full exhaust System for leaks, that’s not to bad for the minute. And yes I did roast the car and left it running until the tester got into it so what your saying about co build up could be very possible! I’m going to get a freind with emmiesions tester to test it when cold or at least not as hot as it was. As for the dipotane I used a full bottle to a full tank thankfully haven’t heard any weird noises from the car but a lot of people are now telling me I shouldn’t have used it or at least not as much but the guy I got the exhaust done off told me to put the full bottle in?
thanks again lads really appreciate the help

if you left it running, then my money is on the same issue I had. If you're lucky, it'll cost you nothing but €28.00 retest. ROAST it over and shut it off when you get there. If the tester is sound, he'll give it a quick blast around the back to blow it out, that's what the guy did with mine when he saw it was back for emissions. Mine was back to extremely low on re-test but was insanely high like yours when I left it running.

Have you got the standard ecu as when I had my classic with a simtek it would never pass with it, put the standard one in and oe cat and flew it everytime. Have you checked for exhaust leaks as well
Gordon is there anything issues with changing ecus or just plug and play and swap back after

Right lads took out mapped ecu and put in original to check it was ok being sitting in shed a couple of years its still working fine but changing ecus a wire came out of a plug its one of the wires that comes from the hi lo boost or the als switch any ideas where it goes?🤔

Right lads took out mapped ecu and put in original to check it was ok being sitting in shed a couple of years its still working fine but changing ecus a wire came out of a plug its one of the wires that comes from the hi lo boost or the als switch any ideas where it goes?🤔
Would have to see a pic of it mick but can't be that hard to figure out

Theres 3 wires from switch one is an earth one goes in to plug A and the other one came out of ?

Attachments

• 36210753-8240-4D54-BA5B-ADFEC5AB6AA5.jpeg
    36210753-8240-4D54-BA5B-ADFEC5AB6AA5.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 14
  • 1B2B5F50-8532-4689-803F-378D96DC93D4.jpeg
    1B2B5F50-8532-4689-803F-378D96DC93D4.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 13
Theres 3 wires from switch one is an earth one goes in to plug A and the other one came out of ?
Did you take the tape off to the right of the wire to see if it came from there or is it a wire that came out of one of the block connectors

Id say its out of one of the block connectors its the female pin on end of wire that goes into block connector

Back