06 STI Clutch

Gambit_Sti

Sunday Drivers
looking some info on what others have done

The clutch is starting to slip on my 06 2.5 STI with 345bhp/395lbft. its on 84k mile on its original clutch. The car is a daily driver, so 90% of time is commuting city traffic, 10% is hooning about

Having a mare on what clutch to fit, hearing so many different stories its headmelting.
http://www.scoobynet.com/drivetrain-11/1019187-clutch-rating-on-oe-2-5-sti-clutch.html

So my options are:-

Exedy OE - will handle the power, wont judder but wont appreciate launches (which i dont do anyway)

Exedy Stage 1 - will handle the power easily and launches. questions marks over build quality lately plus people say they judder (event the anti-judder one)

Competition Clutch Stage 2 - will handle the power, no questions over build quality but a bit "unrefined" ie it'll grab/snatch etc, again supposedly this settles down after 1500 odd miles

so anybody got any real world experiences, unfortunately opinions dont count as im sure you can understand my pain :argh:

Pink exedy will be perfectly fine.

People experiencing judder imo have not had flywheels skimmed and balanced when installing and a fresh spiggot bearing. Never have had judder issues whilst doing it correct.

Yeah pink box is stage 1 organic disc. OE is blue box as stated.

Tho I've now spoken to a couple of people now who've run 400lbft + on OE clutch with no issue

Imo it's would go with the pink box stage 1 for piece of mind, don't think there will be any difference in feel to standard if fitted right

Had an Excedy pink in my STI v3 and felt very oem, no harshness or judder at all.

My current Hawk 2.5 STI is running 326/397 on the oem clutch and no issue so far (mapped to that at 28k miles and now on about 44k miles) - I am fairly easy on clutches though and don't do any launches, but she gets to go up the mountains well into boost in 5/6th gear so if the clutch was going to slip that would be the time I guess.

Thanks lads, think when its time, it'll probably be exedy pink so. Think the best thing is to get the one that can take as much abuse as possible without being too different to standard :thumbsup:

It all depends on bhp and torque and usage.

A lot of people go for pink box and spend extra money for no reason on standard cars.

[quote author=Rob Spec C link=topic=43838.msg505338#msg505338 date=1422732650]
Will the pink stand up to a few launches?
[/quote]
Yep I'm using one , have done about 20 so far plus has been up in Bishopscourt.
The rear drives don't like it , had to put a pair in it after that event

Back