What Bicycle - B2W Scheme

JohnRA

Member Number 3801
So the missus went out yesterday and bought herself and the two lads bikes. I suppose I may get one myself for the leisurely Sunday cycles. Or maybe she was giving me a hint not buying me one?

If possible, I'd like something that will tick the leisurely box and be able to use it on some trails? Don't mind if I've to buy two sets of wheels and another saddle?

There's also a chance I'll be transferred back closer to home with work, hence going through the B2W Scheme. The cycle would be 13km each way so 26km a day which is piss all.

Am I dreaming or is this possible? Would I be better off investing in a decent trail bike and buy a separate bike for the road cheap? I haven't really the space for 2 bikes.

Also if anyone has recommendations on where to purchase said suggestions, I'm all ears. Does keith still have the shop?

No john I sold the shop on.
It sounds like a sports hybrid is what your after 700X35c wheels they are a great all round bike you can get a wider Tyre 45c do your doing fire brake sort of stuff but they won't come hammering down a mountain.
29er is another great bike it's a mountain bike with a 28" wheel ....nice around town with the big wheel and will take abuse on the hills ....tyres are 2.5 up to 4" wide so can be slow on the road but you can use a 700c hybrid Tyre if your looking for road use.
You can get a 650b mountain bike it's in between the 26 and the 29. Great all round bike ......it's hard one to call you really need 3 bikes mountain road and then a hybrid
If you need any help picking one or advice just shout

Scott are a great brand and it just so happens the Scott rep is a member on here lol........drum roll alan

Had a good aul chin wag with Alan the other day. Very help and an absolute gent.

We ran in to a brickwall with the initial route of using Eurocycles. This was down to my company using a 3rd party for their B2W Scheme and eurocycles have their own scheme, so they won't allow another scheme provider to provide bikes through their stores. Then due to my employer using a 3rd party, they wouldn't set up an account with eurocycles (which is free) to allow them to sell the bike to me through B2W.

Pain in the hoop but got back in touch with Alan and he gave me a couple more contacts. I like keeping business local and fortunately another bike shop was listed as a Scott dealer.

So off I went to Quay Cycles in Drogheda and had a chat with Austin. I was set on an Aspect 730 but he'd none in. However, he had a 740 in that he knocked a good bit off for me. Very similar spec to the 730 just sacrificing the rear deore derailer but the price reflects this. So when Austin was knocking another bit off for me without trying to haggle him down, I decided to keep it local and it'll do me for starting out.

So, spanky new Scott Aspect 740 being built for me as soon as I get the voucher sent back to me.

Great day in the parish.

Shocks are savage. Great pace. Tail is very light and easy maneuvered. Brakes are savage. Having some gear issues atm, will give the shop a bell and see if they want it back in or if it's normal and it'll be adjusted in 2 weeks during it's service. Think I've hit it spot on with front shock only with lockout and 27.5" tyres.

19511522_10154511628272117_346901021639518992_n.jpg

Happy days!
Drop it into Austin, he'll adjust/tweek the gears for you in 1 minute flat. Should be smooth changing straight away.

Happy days!
Drop it into Austin, he'll adjust/tweek the gears for you in 1 minute flat. Should be smooth changing straight away.

I'll ring ahead to be sure. He was up to his eyeballs with services, repairs and new boxes of stock to the rafters!

Back