Type RA window glass?

Alan Browne

Sunday Drivers
I've a Classic rally car which is 30kgs over the allowed minimum weight. I haven't touched the window glass. The front screen has to stay as is. Does anyone know the thickness of the glass in the RA side windows? Does anyone have a set available to weigh / purchase?

I don’t think there’s much difference in weight in the glass it’s the door that the weight saving is in so a full door would be lighter in an Ra compared to a standard car but James Seanie or Stephen would be better up on classics than I am :thumbsup:

There isn't any lighter glass in a classic. Only cars that got lighter glass were newage Spec C (open to correction!)
Doors are the same too only thing lightweight on a RA is bonnet and boot. I assume you have manual windows?
From rallying myself one thing i noticed loads of weight in is the heater box! Got a small heater for my civic that just blows on windscreen. Being a group N car it cant run polycarbonate windows but I assume you are class 15 or 20 so shouldnt be issue for you?

Below is robbed from type-ra.com

Bodywork
Impreza Alloy bonnet weight.....8.3 kg
Impreza bootlid without spoiler weight.....9.5 kg
Impreza V3 spoiler weight.....2.6kg
V1 (I know it's not technically a V1) rear "hoop" spoiler.....3kg
Impreza V5 STi rear spoiler weight.....7kg
MY99 rear door inc. glass, electrics & rubber trim, no door card.....20kg
MY99 front door inc glass, electrics & rubber trim, no door card or speaker.....24kg
MY98 Type R door inc glass, electrics, no door card, speaker or rubber trim.....31.5kg
Impreza Front wing weight with STi badge - no repeater.....2kg
MY95 STi RA front door inc glass, speaker, manual winder.....22kg
MY95 STi RA rear door inc glass, manual winder.....17kg

Suspension
Alloy wishbone complete.....3.8kg
OE front 19mm ARB bare.....2.8kg
OE rear ARB ??mm with drop links and brackets.....4.8kg
Whiteline front 24mm ARB bare.....x.xxxkg (need to recheck ASJ)
Whiteline rear 22mm ARB bare.....4.8kg
Whiteline rear 24mm ARB bare.....x.xxxkg (need to recheck ASJ)
OE rear plastic droplinks.....0.250kg
Whiteline rear alloy droplinks.....0.315kg
Front subframe.....9kg
Rear subframe.....10kg
Gearbox cross member.....5kg
Rear Diff "T-piece".....7kg

Heating/Cooling
aircon pump.....7.9kg
aircon rad and pipes to bulkhead.....2.7kg
ac matrix.....1.5kg
cooling fans.....1.6kg each

Mechanical
MY99 STi rear box (muffler).....9.5kg
STi V6 standard backbox.....9.8kg
5 speed DCCD gearbox, without oil.....58kg
Subaru embossed 4 pot front caliper.....4.65kg
MY97 R180 rear diff, no oil......26kg
R160 rear drive shaft......6kg
R180 rear drive shaft......7kg

Trim/Electrics/Accessories
MY99 Type R driver's seat.....19kg
MY99/00 crystal foglights.....1.5kg per pair
V5/6 STi fog covers + brackets.....0.3kg per pair
Electric door mirror.....1.1kg each
Carbon fibre STi strut brace (classic).....1.1kg
Engine undertray.....2kg
Gearbox undertray.....0.55kg
V4 Type R rear seats.....10kg

Maybe get a lighter co-driver!!!??!!

James

Titanium exhaust, alloy bonnet , Polly carbonated windows , and drill out and remove parts of the door frame non structural

Are you running 'X bars' in your roll cage? If you are...is it permissible in the class you're in to remove the side impact bars in the OEM doors as there is huge weight in these.

As mentioned... there is huge weight in the OEM heater system too. The below is only 1.15kg... so big saving to be had here..

https://www.demon-tweeks.com/eu/demon-tweeks-lightweight-heater-tsdlwh/

Remove as much as possible from within the dash too... unnecessary plastic trim, plastic pipework, loom etc. It all adds up. Is the sound-deadening removed?

Next heavy thing you could look at is sub frames... I've seen some that were heavily drilled to remove weight but also seam welded for strength. If your wallet will allow... tubular sub frames could half the combined 20kg weight that the OEM ones come in at.

Last edited:
I have Lexan/polycarbonate front and rear screens, front is heated

I thought all doors were the same just RA lighter manual window regs

Last edited:
If anyone weighs less than Mickey's 10 stone and can call notes PM me!

Seriously though - the heater is something I was all set to lighten.......a single speed blowing on windscreen only. Everything else is a luxury. I don't think I need a heater matrix either.

Thanks for sharing that information on part weights.

I have the remains of the electric window guides in the 2 rear doors. All window motors, central locking, loom, solenoids etc are removed. I'll weigh one just to see how it compares to a 95 type RA.

A fibreglass boot lid is only 4.5 kgs. Nearly 5 kgs of a saving on an aluminium one. You would imagine a fibreglass rear bumper would also save weight? Its actually slightly heavier than the original plastic one!

Titanium exhaust, alloy bonnet , Polly carbonated windows , and drill out and remove parts of the door frame non structural

I have a Milltek 3" system that is nearly 18 kgs but would be reluctant to remove it - the car drives too well with it. Original alloy bonnet still on the car (how it has escaped I have no idea!). Polycarbonate windows....time to text Seanie

Exhaust weight is huge I swapped a Sti genome back box for a titanium s203/204 One and there was just 4 kg weight saving in the back box alone but not a cheap option . Sherrif get a lovely titanium system recently and he might know the weight of it and cost

Attachments

• FDCBEA58-FB79-44CC-AFC0-128532CEFCBD.jpeg
    FDCBEA58-FB79-44CC-AFC0-128532CEFCBD.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 82
  • 119D6BC6-874D-43C6-B085-1899EA41129A.jpeg
    119D6BC6-874D-43C6-B085-1899EA41129A.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 83
If anyone weighs less than Mickey's 10 stone and can call notes PM me!

A fibreglass boot lid is only 4.5 kgs. Nearly 5 kgs of a saving on an aluminium one. You would imagine a fibreglass rear bumper would also save weight? Its actually slightly heavier than the original plastic one!

Aren't all classic boot lids steel.... don't think there ever was an alloy one.

Yeah... fibre glass bumpers are so much heavier than the plastic OEM ones.

This US crowd are pretty cheap for tubular sub-frames... there's a 15kg saving in the front & rear ones alone not including the gearbox & T-bar mount. He does deals on the full lot too.

Aren't all classic boot lids steel.... don't think there ever was an alloy one.

Yeah... fibre glass bumpers are so much heavier than the plastic OEM ones.

This US crowd are pretty cheap for tubular sub-frames... there's a 15kg saving in the front & rear ones alone not including the gearbox & T-bar mount. He does deals on the full lot too.

You could be right on that Jamie - it makes sense weight wise.

Are you running 'X bars' in your roll cage? If you are...is it permissible in the class you're in to remove the side impact bars in the OEM doors as there is huge weight in these.

As mentioned... there is huge weight in the OEM heater system too. The below is only 1.15kg... so big saving to be had here..

https://www.demon-tweeks.com/eu/demon-tweeks-lightweight-heater-tsdlwh/

Remove as much as possible from within the dash too... unnecessary plastic trim, plastic pipework, loom etc. It all adds up. Is the sound-deadening removed?

Next heavy thing you could look at is sub frames... I've seen some that were heavily drilled to remove weight but also seam welded for strength. If your wallet will allow... tubular sub frames could half the combined 20kg weight that the OEM ones come in at.

This maybe one of the most useless pieces of information ever about a Subaru - the side impact bar in a rear door weighs 1.2 kgs ???? I?m not weighing a front one .......they?re staying exactly where they are.

This maybe one of the most useless pieces of information ever about a Subaru - the side impact bar in a rear door weighs 1.2 kgs ???? I?m not weighing a front one .......they?re staying exactly where they are.

I love useless pieces of information about Subaru's... If only I had rear doors!! ;)

Back