timing belt

I use Mitsuboshi - which is also good.
Anyway myself I'd change also all pulleys and water pump, which also has the pulley as far as I remember.
Just in case - the broken pulley can make the same damage as broken belt - killing your valves in the kiss of death with pistons :)

Cheers
jacek

o.e. belt is dayco, gates is just as good if not better in some peoples view. definitely change the waterpump. have seen tenstioners last two or three belts worth, but would recomend to change with every belt. the cost of damage they cause if they do go just makes it false economy not to do them. personally i keep the gates belts in stock.

only new to the club but recommend changing oil pump with the timing belt,a very good man with the scoobys told me this when i got mone,

@SEAN C

i'm not quite sure of that advice.........

sometimes scaremongering is rife around here..........

it would be unnecessary expense......

[quote author=davelegacy link=topic=9219.msg109937#msg109937 date=1220305445]
also water pump is a rare failure on subarus..........
[/quote]
in the past pumps have not been a problem, but now with people using correct oil and mapping etc engines are lasting longer and the pumps are seeing their life expectancy. have replaced two pumps in the last month or so due to failure. one import, one uk. the uk had 70k and was lucky not to do damage. point is this car would not have made it to its second belt without a pump. think while it is all stripped it is false economy not to do it. on another note think fitting an oil pump with every belt may be a bit overkill(i'm fussy, but where do you stop) :ponder2:.

well for the sake of stripping that much of the car it seems silly not to replace the pump "qualified mechanic" i have heard that big end bearings go on these cars regularly so not doing the pump is pointless as the pump lubricates these bearings. any good mechanic can see the logic. think of the cost of replacing the pump as opposed to the engine being replaced.

[quote author=ben link=topic=9219.msg110240#msg110240 date=1220380367]
well for the sake of stripping that much of the car it seems silly not to replace the pump "qualified mechanic" i have heard that big end bearings go on these cars regularly so not doing the pump is pointless as the pump lubricates these bearings. any good mechanic can see the logic. think of the cost of replacing the pump as opposed to the engine being replaced.
[/q
[quote author=ben link=topic=9219.msg110240#msg110240 date=1220380367]
[/quote]
in my humble opinion most big end failures are not from oil pump failure. but there are two problems that i have seen with oil pumps. first is the screws on the back plate(repair with loctite/tap with center punch), second pressure relief valve sticking due to debry build up(clean). my first legacy turbo had 182k on origonal pump(with full sub history). i believe if they are looked after correctly they are a strong engine.

fair enough,wasnt tryin to freak anyone out,just goin on what the man i bought mine off told me,an he a subaru mechanic

Holy thread revival ha

Im changing the timing belt and all the tensioners, but wondering should I do the water pump / oil pump..

Car heads have been telling me yes.. but subaru heads have said not needed ?

Car is a JDM 2003 STi 130k KMS btw

Oil pumps and water pumps are expensive genuine :O

Belt and pump together. Not sure why you would change the oil pump if it's fine. Never heard of all three being done at same time.

I think the JDM 12mm can be expensive? Guts of €200? More?

120km, not long imported anf mapped. I'm no mechanic but I can't see a need for it to be changed? Maybe on your next belt change. Maybe. If you were anal, then yeah work away, it's your car. I've never seen complaints for a vehicle being over maintained.

Yeah fresh import and mapped, well maintained car in Japan aswell !

I'll prob do the belt kit and maybe water pump, I'll get the garage to check oil pump but prob leave it for further down the line ! More concerned for getting the belt n tensioners done soon

Back