VRT/TAX/LOGBOOK question

dontommy

ISDC Club Member
I learned ages ago that law and common sense hardly ever have everything in common. Here is another one: mate of mine vrt a motor bike from UK and after over a month wait he rang to ask where is his logbook, where he was told that he wont receive his logbook until he doesn't pay the tax?!?!
So I suppose my few questions are: is it legal that you are refused to get document of your property since hmmm... how to put it its yours? What if you don't want to drive the said vechicle but to sell it, do you still have to pay tax? And last but not least if you believe them in order to get your logbook you need to get tax, but to get tax you need valid insurance and in order to get insurance you need to present them with logbook? And here we have another CATCH21?

Yep like that for many years.

You can tax it online using the last 6 digits of the VIN (later on you use the online "pin", which are really the last 6 digits of the Vehicle Registration Certificate).

You do not need a (copy of a) logbook/VRC to insure a vehicle - and if VRT paid you have a registration number to tax and insure.

>> only thing I wonder about (...and maybe someone here knows) >> Always taxed any cars I imported straight away as have put them to use immediately... wonder how it works with not taxing it for a period between paying VRT and use... and hence no VRC issued... Is there roadtax due for that period and have to "back" tax it by paying arrears when you do put it on the road? Or is it "off the road" and not taxable before the VRC is issued (but VRT paid)?

When i vrtd my car i went straight online and used that same pin for taxing it to sign it off the road.
So its signed off the road now never taxed and never received taxbook until i tax it whenever.

thats fine but what if you want to sell, not to tax and drive? Bottom line is you paid for the vechicle, you paid the vrt but still dont get owners papers. What if lets says he sells the car/bike to me or you and I request the logbook from the government?
Or what if you imprort to use on track and never goes on the road? I've been living around in good few countries and this is first time I see a case where you own something but the government refuse to furnish you with document? And you are being blackmailed to pay tax that you may no need or use?
On another note I know garages are different cup of tea all together but I doubt that when they import 10-20 cars at a time they pay at least 3 month tax on each car?

Tax is blackmail no other way to describe it. No room for the small fry that’s why you’ll get no answer on this from them.

thats fine but what if you want to sell, not to tax and drive? Bottom line is you paid for the vechicle, you paid the vrt but still dont get owners papers. What if lets says he sells the car/bike to me or you and I request the logbook from the government?
Or what if you imprort to use on track and never goes on the road? I've been living around in good few countries and this is first time I see a case where you own something but the government refuse to furnish you with document? And you are being blackmailed to pay tax that you may no need or use?
On another note I know garages are different cup of tea all together but I doubt that when they import 10-20 cars at a time they pay at least 3 month tax on each car?

I asked that question before and apparently you can fill up a change of ownership form or something in tax office and do it that way

Back