NCT question

ocarros

Sunday Drivers
Hi, I've my NCT coming up Sunday 13th January (2005 Forester 2.5 Xten auto). Only thing I have had to get done the last 2 NCTs is tighten the handbrake (does anyone else have this problem of handbrake cable not being tight enough?)

Anyhow, the headlamp leveller warning light has just come on. Is this an NCT failure? My headlights are still in the correct position (and not pointing at the floor or anywhere else they shouldn't be). I'm hoping it's a loose connection as the warning light doesn't come on until i've driven 4 miles or so, or if I drive over pot-holey roads (which is quite frequently). I'd rather delay the NCT and get it looked at if it's going to be a failure.

Cheers.

Someone will know better but l recon depends on the light. I've seen car passing with check engine but airbag is automatic failure for example :ponder2::dontknow:

All lights off to be safe on passing best to tighten handbrake so no hassle it’s a bit of a lottery. I was told in nct no lights on dash did you try resetting it and if would it be enough time to get test done. I had a seat senor on a bmw had to rest it and call lad out for retest as it used to come back on after 5 min

Fail if it has xenon lights.
Level sensors must work and headlight washers on xenon lights, unless you can prove it came from factory without them.

Thanks all. Car does have xenon lights so I've rescheduled the test and will get the warning light checked out next week. The car had one new sensor fitted 4 years ago so I'm hoping this is just a loose wire/connection considering the state of the roads by me and all the shaking the car gets put through. Also the fact that the warning light goes off after engine start up and only lights up after a rough patch of road or about 4 miles into the journey.

Last edited:
Could be horses for courses my car has done the nct with the leveller light on a couple of times plus the air bag light and have a button for fog light but no fog light.

Yeah I was under the impression that if the airbag light was on then the airbag wouldn't deploy on impact.. That's what I thought anyway.. Could be miles off.. Can't say I've ever tested the theory ????????

Well wouldn't you know it - car is booked in with the mechanic this coming Tuesday but since yesterday (friday) the warning light has stayed off. Even with me driving over the rough parts of the roads on purpose

That’s always the way sure. Try and get it to come on because it will come on before the test and you will have to pay 28 to go again.

Well, update. After car was in with mechanic, headlamp leveller warning light started coming back on (and off) again and today of all days, driving to NCT, light stayed on full time. Result? Pass! Car was complimented on what good nick she was in too. Happy out :)

Mechanic couldn't find fault with the headlamp sensors so I've either a loose connection or a sensitive sensor maybe. Lights are in correct position so I won't worry till next year

Back