Worst subaru mod

dontommy

ISDC Club Member
A bit of slow weekend, so following Eoin's thread about best mod: let's see whats the worse subaru mod you came across. Or what mob triggers you the wrong way. No hard feelings.
And to get the ball rolling what l don't like is a blob sti bonnet vent on anything other than blob. Just don't look right to me ????

The Tommy Kaira classic Impreza spoiler.
All wrong in my opinion lol

Good idea Tom, give everyone an idea of what not to do lol

Personally, I like the blob vent on a classic, but not on a bug... Each to their own and all that ????

I am going to say it just being on the basis of its rally heritage and don’t get the whole stretch tyres thing
Doing away with a lot cars practically ruining what they are based on don’t mean to offense to anyone just seems with a lot of unnecessary hassle [emoji51]

I’ve never done a bad mod to my car.

But!! I only spend money on improving the performance of the car from the factory.

My opinion is like Gary, make it go fast/faster as it was intended... not slow it down to look good!

But mods are up to the owner and it would be a horrible world if we were all the same!

I just love making the car faster and it looking similar on the outside.

I call it subtle modification, making an old performance car that bit better to Smoke the Golf R generation. :)

Worst mod I made and purely down to my own personal taste was the perrin wing stiffies that I bought , fitted , hated and sold in a 48 hour period , :hammerhead:

Have a strong hate for blob vents on classics and anything other than a blob if I'm serious :thumbsup:

Worst mod I made and purely down to my own personal taste was the perrin wing stiffies that I bought , fitted , hated and sold in a 48 hour period , :hammerhead:

Have a strong hate for blob vents on classics and anything other than a blob if I'm serious :thumbsup:

+1 on the blob vents. Look sh*t. End of.

I knew somebody would mention stretched tyres. :icon_biggrin:

The one thing I hate is the stupid camber that the Americans run. I know I made a thread about running more camber recently but they run insane amounts to the point that it ruins their arches and chassis. I really can’t understand why you would ruin your car like that.

I knew somebody would mention stretched tyres. :icon_biggrin:

The one thing I hate is the stupid camber that the Americans run. I know I made a thread about running more camber recently but they run insane amounts to the point that it ruins their arches and chassis. I really can’t understand why you would ruin your car like that.

Stretched tyres is not an insult to any club member.... but you are the only one who is vocal on the
Subject. (I have seen)
Please don’t take it to heart!

We all have a view on a subaru!!! And how one likes it!!!!

Be a fcukin real boring world of subaru owners in Eire, if we liked the norm!

Do your thing please.

If you want to show you go!

Wanna go fast ask!!

We all in this fantastic club.. get ideas/notions of varying ways to make “our” cars better!!

Slow or go!

All ideas are welcomed!!

My carbon mirrors I doubt were thought of for speed? Gains nothing!!

Astechics!!

I still love them!

Do what ya do! Keep on doing it.

We all benefit in the long run: fact!

what l ment wasn't necessary something silly you did to your car but rather something funny, stupid or pure dangerous that you came across and left you 5cratching your head... we have good few mechanics in here that l bet they have a story or two to tell..
l remember on some stage somewhere a person was asking how to convert his turbo hawk to a n/a :icon_biggrin:
and again no hard feelings and dont take it personal. no need to justify your mod choices and if too sensitive dont read the thread :thumbsup::icon_biggrin::popcorn:

probably replacing perfectly fine factory suspension for set of cheap seized coilovers that could not be raised any longer and I kept scraping every time I went to lidl...

yea, not all decisions are smart

Cosmetic changes are subject to taste of owner, and I can appreciate ugly car if I can see that craftsmanship and attention to detail are fine.

what I cannot accept is modifying diesels and/or doing modifications that make the car ultimately worse driver than it was before(like installing seized coilovers:D)...

Stretched tyres is not an insult to any club member.... but you are the only one who is vocal on the
Subject. (I have seen)
Please don’t take it to heart!

Not taking anything to heart. It was taken in spirit and Gary knew it. He was asking me about them not long ago. No hidden agenda.

My worst "Mod" was pouring money and time into various pads (tryed lots) fresh disks braded lines and stainles piston rebuild of subaru wrx 4 pots few years back total waste of money always the weak link in the chain of other mods for my car.

Worst mod that I don't get has to be the usdm lads that can't get into car parks or over speed bumps and the body smashing off the ground as they drive along.

Show car is different as that's what it's for display and I apreacite that but the above ripping off your bumpers having to put planks down ect coz u like you car scraping very weird behaviour : )

Fast and useable for Subarus imo just how God intended

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Firmly in the camp of "make it go faster and grip / handle better for road usage"...

That said, there are still things that might make a car faster, but wouldn't personally do... like the blob vent vs other models, and especially dislike the look of it on classics -> however, others seem to like or not mind the look.

Few things I have come across that made me scratch my head alright:

1. Fitting a race / paddle clutch on a daily driver with stock (or close to stock) power that is never tracked... total waste of time, no "aesthetic" benefit, no performance benefit given the intended use of the car... just a total pita to drive.

2. Along the same vein... mods on a daily without benefits only draw backs: a) fitting seriously hot cams on a daily that isn't used on track. Ruins the car as it won't idle and power band shifted to an area you don't use. b) same as above with a turbo that is way too big for a daily (no power and only lag till 5k and then mad power for 1/2 second till you hit the rev limiter). c) (overly) lightened flywheel... a modestly lighted flywheel can be ok as gives a bit more responsiveness, but lighten it too much and the car becomes a pig to drive as needs about 2k revs to take off without stalling it (which sucks on a daily).

3. Some mods that you thought were, or might be, ok when you clicked that "buy now" button, but seriously disappointing or too hard to live with: a) too loud an exhaust (fun initially... until it wears on you and you wish you could go somewhere without needing ear-defenders), b) cheap coil-overs... cheap pads... cheap tyres... "cheap anything" that ends up ruining your experience (of safety).

4. Modding the car for track use... but only doing half the mods in the wrong order... so... for example: up the power, but not sort the braking / tyres / cooling / oil & fuel starvation during hard cornering... recipe for disaster as in best case scenario car is still slow, or worst case scenario... accident, or engine failure.

5. Bad (re)maps... or no (re)map after fitting certain mods... = engine failure. Seen it too often.

Shouldn't have opened my mouth lol
I seem to be the only man to like a big vent on a classic lol

But it's true, as said above. Everyone modifies cars to their liking, some people like power mods, other like aesthetic mods. We don't put something new on a car to please everyone else.

It's all good, I'm in the firm belief that if everyone done the car in the same manner, then there would be no 'nice' car as it would be the same as everyone else's... If you get me.. Lol

Dontommy with the big blue wheels for example, go for it man. Bit of flavour is needed. I don't think the thread was intended to knock on others tastes and mods.
Just a mere insight is all. I can appreciate every single car in this club, and I take my hat off to the work and effort that has gone into each and every one.
Fair play guys ��

Last edited:
Each to there own Eoin everyone is different

Good thread [emoji106]

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

s201 is my biggest subaru hatred , as jus plain stupid looking imo
stupid slammed cars with stupid camber is a very close second ,
the rising price of 22bs/ type-r is crazy

my biggest mod mistake would probably be , bc coilovers , and so the story goes .....

when i got my car it had cusco coilovers , (one was knocking bad ) ,so i decided to get some new , BC were the rage at the time getting good reviews for the price . so went witha set , but with a 40 profile sidewall on tyre i jus cant drive fast on backroads without fear of hitting a pothole more than 1cm deep, to hear a ugly thud.
but then there is also the flip side of them once on track or a smooth surface , body roll is near non-existent and the adjustable top mounts let you play with rebound stifness .
if doing again ,focus on backroad comfort is what id aim for .

possibly also converting to twinscroll setup with rebuild , new turbo and not getting the expected numbers . car feels slow compared to other sti club cars . but iv also been told this is all in my head

mon morn rant over

@Mac Mac... Ross, what spring rate did you get for the BCs? Could be worth contacting them to get a set of weaker rate springs to make the car more comfortable and compliant on poor roads.

Evo roof votex generator things are my pet hate plus many others that I don't want to make mention for fear of.....

Back