GTB Etune 2

lordderak

Sunday Drivers
Morning lads

I guess the subaru addiction is now in full swing :icon_omg:
I'm looking at Legacies again in Japan, but the older GTB's. I see alot of negative things about them on various forums and that the twin turbo setup on them is notorious for going wrong along with very prominent detonation problems particularly when car leaves japan and is subjected to lower octane fuel. You can pick up grade 4,4.5's in japan for peanuts these days.Just wondering are they worth the bother? Can you run them fine on octane booster, can the ecu be mapped etc? I always liked the practicality and look of the legacies and the GTB's were well kitted out.

Thanks

Morning lads

I guess the subaru addiction is now in full swing :icon_omg:
I'm looking at Legacies again in Japan, but the older GTB's. I see alot of negative things about them on various forums and that the twin turbo setup on them is notorious for going wrong along with very prominent detonation problems particularly when car leaves japan and is subjected to lower octane fuel. You can pick up grade 4,4.5's in japan for peanuts these days.Just wondering are they worth the bother? Can you run them fine on octane booster, can the ecu be mapped etc? I always liked the practicality and look of the legacies and the GTB's were well kitted out.

Thanks

Mods id say you can delete this thread...lol

Thanks

I only see this now. In my b4 I had boost issues, I went to replacing vaccum hoses in the solenoid box, then it was worse then I find out there were few restriction pill so had to clean and fit back the original hoses. it was fine for a while but then it came again. I remember at that time there was a big thread with good few people dealing with that.

Meant to reply to this when I seen it..

I'm not by any means a guru here but,
Detonation problems weren't as common in the 2002/2003 facelifted BE/BH Legacy, in saying that, I had none in my 2001.
I also had zero boost issues with my B4, but they are pretty finicky apparently, there's a hay stack of vacuum hoses as said, and sometimes if it's vacuum related it's best to drop it to someone who knows the Subaru twin turbo set up inside out.
If you get her mapped for Irish fuel you'd be safe enough, as any reputable mapper can easily map for 95 Ron. Could always map with NF if you want extra assurance.

You'll never get massive power out of the twin set up tho. Loads of torque low town and plenty high end but it lacks a punch to be fair. With all expected supporting mods they say around 330BHP is tops on the standard turbos.

Another note, parts hunting is tough. They are a JDM only model and as such most parts are either in Japan, or used.
UK Legacy is a good spot for some specific trouble shooting, and SL-i.net too (Subaru Legacy International)

The thing about buying them for peanuts is, it'll be twice that by the time it's landed and on the road. And the market isn't really there for them I think. They aren't making as much, I'd say an absolutely mint one be 4k max. I see the odd one for sale for upwards but... I think dreaming.

If you were to buy, I'd get a limited. Blitzen model or something. They'll hold a bit more value than a standard model and they should sell for that bit more here too.

I remember a single turbo converted Blitzen wagon for sale sometime last year for about 6k. In fairness, thing had massive spec. Was it worth it, I don't know. But defo worth more than a run of the mill B4.

You can take all this with a pinch of salt if you may lol
Just my 2c :thumbsup:

Back