Battery dead

Rob

RobH
ISDC Club Member
New battery in my sti only 3 months old and flat as pancake today,any info would be great but I’m guessing sumtin is drawing power

Could be a few things generally if alternator is gone would drain battery. battery light might stay on when car is turned off. Maybe an interior light staying on check boot light as wouldn’t see it (had this before) can just disconnect it to see. Plus aswell if you’re not driving car to often it will drain down over a period of time with alarm immobilizer etc

Charge battery.

Run car with consumables on.

Test voltage running.

Should be 14.4v.

If ok....

Do drain off test.

Common drain on battery are.....

Radio,alarm,phone kit.... etc etc.

Normally something spliced into the original loom that takes
Power.

It’s rare that a factory loom un touched will make a drain off!

Age and old wiring yes.

Very rare though.

If charging OK, if you have multimeter set to mA DC. With key removed doors closed and all consumables switched off remove battery negative lead from battery and put multimeter probes between negative lead and negative pole on battery.
It should not be draining more than about 30mA, anything considerably higher you have something out of the norm draining the battery

Its your tracker lad its a problem with the widetracks 05 the impreza has a smart charge system so even if your driving the car it wont charge the battery unless theres a draw of power like the lights or radio or heaters i had the same problem a few years ago

Back