Aircooled VW Splitscreen Bus to Subaru conversion

Spud

Hi Lads
I'm new to the forum and would love some advice from you guys . To make a short story boring , I own a VW splitty which I had converted to Subaru power using the EJ20 engine from I think it was a 2004 Legacy. Conversion done by Fellows speed shop in the UK. They offered two options at the time the 2Lt or the 2.5 Lt phase two engines and I chose the 2Lt which has been very reliable but unfortunately it lacks torque in my bus which is much heavier than the car it came from.The bus will `just get to 120 kph on a good road with no wind and that is as fast as I would ever really ever need but I want to cruise comfortably at that speed .The main problem is the lack or torque on hills so I want to put in a more suitable engine. Fellows speed shop no longer offer the 2.5 Lt option due to some of their 2.5 conversions coming back to them with bottom end problems. . I am not a mechanic and have only very limited knowledge of engines including Subaru.
The EJ20 engine is mated to the original 5Mt gearbox from the donor legacy which has the flipped and reverse cut ring and pinion installed so I dont have one forward and five reverse gears.
The purpose of this thread is to ask for help to get a more suitable engine conversion still using the same gearbox. Money is a very big factor at this stage. I would love to hear suggestions as to the most sensible route I should go.
First question is if I go for the EJ25 LT N/A engine of similar age(2004) will it provide much more torque than the 2Lt does in every day driving. Also what pit falls show I try to avoid with a phase two engine and what work would be advisable to have done before installing the engine. I am open to all suggestion but my preference for increased torque is increased cubic inches. As well as money being a big factor , logistics also come into play because I will not be doing engine mods/repairs or installations myself . Hoping to find a damn good Subaru mechanic in Ireland willing to help with the project.
Thanks in advance lads
Regards
Kieran

Welcome along spud :thumbsup:cool sounding bus stick up some photos :thumbsup::thumbsup:.

Ok where to start . I can’t see how the vw is any heavier that a forester and If so then it can’t be by a lot or is it ? . Is the car down on power , have you driven a 2.0 legacy or forester if so does it feel the same or way slower than the vw , presume you running the clocks from the Subaru any fault codes or anything showing

Welcome along .

Love vw buses , get some pics up .

Out of interest what gear box is it running , if original vw the ratios might not suit getting the best out of the legacy engine .

Welcome along
Admin needs to sort this as they are two same threads and gets confusing with lads answering in both

Welcome along spud :thumbsup:cool sounding bus stick up some photos :thumbsup::thumbsup:.

Ok where to start . I can’t see how the vw is any heavier that a forester and If so then it can’t be by a lot or is it ? . Is the car down on power , have you driven a 2.0 legacy or forester if so does it feel the same or way slower than the vw , presume you running the clocks from the Subaru any fault codes or anything showing

Depends on the Bus I'd say - the Forester is only about 20-30kgs heavier than an impreza and, if the VW is kitted out as a camper it could be quite a bit heavier.

The gearbox information would be good to know especially if it's converted to RWD and also know what turbo setup/map/boost its running

According to google

1150 K.g. for the VW Micro Bus from Factory
1500 k.g. Legacy 2.0 N.A.
1385 k.g. Forester N.A. (same engine id say )
1166 k.g. Impreza n.a. (again same engine ?)

original engine 40 bhp
Subaru engine must be 130 + at least

Last edited:
Hi lads thanks for the responces. I had the bus weighed today . There is nothing wrong with my EJ20 engine as I suspected but it is not designed to carry 1680kg which is what she is without passengers. I had lots of sound deadening added ( weight) three individual modern front seats plus the rear seats come from a mk8 ford transit and they weight a ton.
The gear box is the original MT5 from the donor Legacy but it has the flipped ring and pinion in the box which was reverse cut. ( See Subaru gears.com Australia) Hense I have five forward gears now that the engine is in the rear. It is two wheel drive. Subaru gears offered three ratios of final drive and we opted for the middle ratio which I assume is most compatable with the original ratio.
I also spoke with a guy in Cork who does mapping and he said that with an NA engine there is nothing that can be done with the Subaru EJ20. His advice was to go for the 2.5 Lt Dohc engine rather than the 2.5Lt Sohc because of better air flow/ more torque. He strongly advised against going Turbo with the Subaru is the rear of a bus as he said I would be getting into something altogether more complicated and could be opening a can of worms.
I have decided to take his advice ( he has owned a few Subarus over the years) but this is where I need help from you guys. What Doner vehicle with 2.5 Dohc engine am I looking for . Which are the best versions ( years) etc.
and what should I avoid . Plus what needs to be checked for wear , damaged and replaced before being put in to my bus. I will more than likely need a doner vehicle unless one of you gentlemen have what I need I in your garage waiting for a home. When I find a suitable doner engine lads who in Ireland will take on the testing of the engine for faults . Is there anyone in Ireland who modifies the loom. Im sure I can get that done in the UK if not at home.
I am going to try to post a few pic. Hope I can upload them. Hopefully with this info my quest fot a suitable engine has now been narrowed. Thanks again and zIm looking forward to your advice.
Regards
Kieran

Hi Lads . Thanks for responces. Just spent ages typing a reply on my Samsung then tried to upload pics and failed then lost my long reply (maybe a blessing for you guys) so I will give a shortened version.
Weighed bus empty today on weigh bridge 1680kg. Lots of sound deadening and heavey modern seats.
Engine is Normally asperated EJ20 .
Gear box is original MT5 from same donor vehicle with reverse cut ring and pinion and flipping inside box.
I am not going Turbo .
Engine rear mounted in bus.
Im am going to go 2.5 liter NA DOHC engine but which one do I go for.
What do I avoid and when I do finf the best most reilable version what needs to be checked and sorted before installation.
Thanks Lads
Kieran

Hi Lads
Hoping for third time lucky. Tried to reply on my Samsung twice already tonight so I will be brief in case I fail again.
Bus weighed today 1680 kg due to heavy modern seats and sound deadening.
Subaru MT5 gearbox from original donor vehicle. reverse cut ring and pinion and flipped in gearbox.

It’s sorted :thumbsup:
Hi Colm
Tried to reply four times to lads twice on my Samsung and twice on my laptop. I write my reply .I am logged in but when I submit I get an answer saying Im mot logged in.Obviously doing something wrong.
Regards
Kieran

4a75604c
VW_and_Daimler.jpg

I think all your posts are there Kieran
Maybe install Tapatalk on your phone might work handier for you https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.quoord.tapatalkpro.activity

That is a lovely looking bus
Not sure on the whole turbo in a bus been a bad idea
I know there was a chap on here whos brother done it to a beetle
afaik the 2.0 & 2.5 n.a. cannot be remapped as hey run a hitachi e.c.u. that nobody has the capability to flash etc.

dont forget there is also a 2.2 n.a. engine in the earlier legacys too
im guessing a Turbo engine swop would be the better bet but were there any reasons why the place that did the conversion dont do it ?
Maybe the bus subframe or something ive no idea
but id be sure before i ventured down any road that it was the best way to proceed
Im looking forward to reading how this proceeds and im sure you'll get plenty of help on here

donor cars can be got cheap enough which ever way you go :thumbsup:

Hi Colm . Bit frustrated at the moment . Cant see any of my post replies or pics. Must the be checked first by modifier before they appear. Sorry for my ignorance.

Hi Colm . Bit frustrated at the moment . Cant see any of my post replies or pics. Must the be checked first by modifier before they appear. Sorry for my ignorance.

If get Tapatalk app for phone and use the square with two triangles in it click on that and it will bring you into photos on phone that can be selected it’s the easiest way I find that’s if pics are on phone hope this helps

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If I go the 2.5 NA engine will I see a marked improvement in overall torque. My bus weighs 1680kg empty. What year 2.5lt should I go for. SOHC or DOHC.

Sent from my SM-J510FN using Tapatalk

The gearbox is from the same donor vehicle as the engine . Its a subaru MT5 box with the ring and pinion reverse cut and flipped inside the box

Sent from my SM-J510FN using Tapatalk

Back