new driver, insurance question

Once they hear sti impreza id say all bets are off

Thats actually a fantastic idea, like what would I be looking at for a wrx equiv legacy? I basically want an early to mid 2ks
Legacy with a scoop used for that boxer intercooler and guys, I NEED to have that UEL header sound, you know what I mean
I need that Subaru burble rumble. Will I get that from a legacy, and u think iyll def be easier
And cheaper to insure? How much also am I looking at for say a 03 04 one? Thank you SO much guys. Already making
Me feel like im part of ur community and not shrugging me off like most would

you need to check insurance quotes online exactly like everybody here does
and check prices of cars on donedal
thats the only way your gonna get the answers your asking
obviously lower category insurance rated will be cheaper google is your friend in this case
best of luck getting a subaru :thumbsup:

Why? Ok theres a 02 bugeye here, 69k miles, nctd 2 weeks ago, taxed until jan 19. Timing belt
Changed at 34k miles along with water pump.
Its the 02 2.0L bugeye WRX. Standard unmodded wrx, its not the STi model. At 37 with a full first time
Licence, do you think they wont quote me at all? Or you think they will but itll be 4k?

What does 3k excess mean, id have to pay 4k AND 3k off the bat, or does that mean if something happens,
I have to pay the 3k excess before theyll pay out on the claim?? Thanks lads?

A lot easier to insure an Irish WRX for sure.
Than a JDM model.

3k excess means if you have a big enough bang. God forbid!!

If deemed your fault you pay the 3k to fix your car and then some.

Max excess I’ve ever taken out since I was 18 is 250 to 500 Euro.

Per say in your situation a policy costing you 2k, is paid....

But your excess is 3k???

Not worth it really if
You crash.

Insurance is crazy here.

Start small and get a few years no
Claims under your belt.

We all did, to Get a high powered car in the years to
Come!

A lot easier to insure an Irish WRX for sure.
Than a JDM model.

3k excess means if you have a big enough bang. God forbid!!

If deemed your fault you pay the 3k to fix your car and then some.

Max excess I’ve ever taken out since I was 18 is 250 to 500 Euro.

Per say in your situation a policy costing you 2k, is paid....

But your excess is 3k???

Not worth it really if
You crash.

Insurance is crazy here.

Start small and get a few years no
Claims under your belt.

We all did, to Get a high powered car in the years to
Come!

I know the get insured on a micra for a few years seems obvious to u, but im already 37 :( im already old, im practically dead

paying 912 on my wrx.
im 26 and have 5+ ncb & full license
Thats with aviva insurance but threw a broker. rang aviva directly for the crack and they wouldnt quote me at all.
Gotta build up that no claims with the same company , and switch to bigger car then. They must quote you no matter what.

Age of car matters here as well.. they dont want to insure anyting older than 15 years here, so I would recommend looking at getting a WRX between 05-08.

Get yourself cheaper car and throw the rest of money on first year of insurance - second year will be hopefully better

Insurance business here is fraud, but government is on payrolls, so nobody does nothing about it, and every investigations ends with 'its more complicated than we thought, we cant do nuthin' quotes from politicians...

Nothing we can do about it, just bite the bullet, or go in streets and try protesting it...

Oh dude thats A brilliant idea, my best friend has a full clean licence for years, if I could get him insured and put me as named?

>>Think you misunderstood me... what I meant is get the insurance in your own name... and put another driver on as a named driver (one who has their own car insured, a full clean license and a good long NCB). What I suggested will see you a good discount with most companies, especially if the additional driver is a woman.

What you suggested I would not recommend.
Insuring another person as the main driver, but you being the main driver in reality is a bad idea.
Insurance companies are wise to this and you could find yourself without any cover if something happens... and also NCB as an additional named driver only is worth 50% of NCB earned in your own name.

some insurers do 'open' policy, which means anyone can drive the car, whether they are insured or not. Not sure though, if they would allow you to do this kind of policy on a STI

1. "Open drive" is great and basically how all car insurance works on main land Europe.
  2. I always had it on my cars here, but when I switched to the Hawk a few years ago the insurance company would not provide "open cover" anymore because it was an Impreza STI.
  3. "Open drive" is no good to the OP as he will not earn any NCB if the policy is not in his name... and as it incurs an additional charge it is unlikely to be helping him get his policy cost down if getting a policy in his own name.

What does 3k excess mean, id have to pay 4k AND 3k off the bat, or does that mean if something happens,
I have to pay the 3k excess before theyll pay out on the claim?? Thanks lads?

>> 3k excess means that in case of any claim, the first €3,000 will have to be paid by you.

Actually just had this conversation with another lad yesterday, a B4 Legacy is every bit as Subaru as a WRX is.
They're also really nice to drive and a BE/BH Legacy (manual) comes standard at 280bhp twin turbo, tiptronic versions slightly less at 267bhp or something.
I'd recommend driving one of those first so you can see for yourself.
Rev D versions (02) are known to be more reliable due to compression differences. Also got for pretty handy money now.

Newer shape ones, I have no personal experience but just as powerful too.

Your best bet is to just shop about and see what you can get, it's a pain but has to be done in fairness

Last edited:
Just after getting his Full licence and wanting to insure a performance car is not realistic in my opinion..

you can fuk around with open policy, third party extensions, weekend insurance .. blah blah... but when the sh*t hits the fan and you need the insurance cover, there is a very high chance you won’t be covered...

All the above ways are essentially only giving you a piece of paper on windscreen so the cops will wave you through a check point.

IMO anyway.

Back