new driver, insurance question

Tobougg

Hey lads, im 37 and only just got my full licence a month ago, has anyone got any idea how much insurance would be at my age on a 05 sti in good condition, the car is stock. Thanks

Oo the guessing game. You are over 30 if it counts for something but without ncb you will get r@ped if you get quoted at all. IMO no point asking us better set up a free week day and start ringing.
I would suggest that straight away tell them your situation and the make and model you are hoping to insure. This way they wont be wasting your time taking all your details only to tell you that they can quote you.
Good luck with your hunt and keep us posted with your result ????

Great advice above ...legacy seems to be under the radar and easily insured compared to impreza

Not a direct answer, but a valid example from during the week:

My brother moved back from working in the Netherlands for 20 years.
He's 40 y.o.
Has his B license 19 years and all his HGV and trailer licenses for over 15 years (professional driver).

Because of his job he never had insurance in his own name and abroad you don't get named on a policy as anyone with a license is insured to drive once the vehicle is insured. So, although accident free for over 10 years, he cannot prove, or hand over an NCB letter.

Tried to get him insurance on an '08 Nissan Note 1.5dci during the week (classed in a low enough insurance group)...
Most insurance companies would not even quote him at all... in fact, only found two so far that would quote after ringing a dozen or so.
* 1 wanted 4800 TPFT only.
* 1 wanted 3350 Fully Comp (do not offer TPFT)... but with a €3k excess on any claim!!

Now... there's a bit of good news for him... was talking to the parents and apparently they put him on their policy as a named driver a few years ago when he was over on holidays, and forgot to take him off. So... as it works out he has 3 years "named driver" NCB (typically counts for 50% of NCB in own name). Now waiting for a letter from the parents' insurance company to confirm this to be able to get quotes (won't even quote without the letter; normally you get a quote based on what you tell them and then send it in after to prove would be usual way).

The moral of the above story is that insurance companies are a joke and the government / regulator are doing nothing to ensure they offer fair quotes and that everyone can get insurance... All the current system does is fill their pockets and encourage a certain cohort to drive without insurance (as they feel it is too dear / cannot afford)... which is stupid.

@OP (see below for general advice to help minimise costs):
- do you have any named policy NCB (from when you were in an L license maybe)?
- yes, deffo Legacies seem to get much better quotes than Imprezas
- do you know anyone with a full clean license and good long NCB that you could put on your policy as a named driver (get discount for that)?
- when you ring say you already "bought the car and have it sitting in the driveway"... as else they simply will not even quote you on anything interesting.
- you may end up having to drive something unappealing for a year to get yourself 1 year's worth of NCB, which will make a huge difference being quoted by more companies and at a more reasonable rate.

Hope you get sorted and get something affordable on a car you like!

Hey lads, im 37 and only just got my full licence a month ago, has anyone got any idea how much insurance would be at my age on a 05 sti in good condition, the car is stock. Thanks
Another maybe suggestion could be allegedly buying a cheapo car, insuring it and having the Subaru as a second card insured for weekend driving. Limited mileage on the Subaru to drive buy could potentially allow you to insure and run it then.

Subaru Impreza Wrx SL Wagon 2004
#hmblwgn
www.instagram.com/hhphoto7

He's 40 y.o.
Has his B license 19 years and all his HGV and trailer licenses for over 15 years (professional driver).

Because of his job he never had insurance in his own name and abroad you don't get named on a policy as anyone with a license is insured to drive once the vehicle is insured. So, although accident free for over 10 years, he cannot prove, or hand over an NCB letter.

Tried to get him insurance on an '08 Nissan Note 1.5dci during the week (classed in a low enough insurance group)...
Most insurance companies would not even quote him at all... in fact, only found two so far that would quote after ringing a dozen or so.
* 1 wanted 3350 Fully Comp (do not offer TPFT)... but with a €3k excess on any claim!!

Now... there's a bit of good news for him... was talking to the parents and apparently they put him on their policy as a named driver a few years ago when he was over on holidays, and forgot to take him off. So... as it works out he has 3 years "named driver" NCB (typically counts for 50% of NCB in own name). Now waiting for a letter from the parents' insurance company to confirm this to be able to get quotes (won't even quote without the letter; normally you get a quote based on what you tell them and then send it in after to prove would be usual way).

The moral of the above story is that insurance companies are a joke and the government / regulator are doing nothing to ensure they offer fair quotes and that everyone can get insurance... All the current system does is fill their pockets and encourage a certain cohort to drive without insurance (as they feel it is too dear / cannot afford)... which is stupid.

- do you know anyone with a full clean license and good long NCB that you could put on your policy as a named driver (get discount for that)?
- when you ring say you already "bought the car and have it sitting in the driveway"... as else they simply will not even quote you on anything interesting.
- you may end up having to drive something unappealing for a year to get yourself 1 year's worth of NCB, which will make a huge difference being quoted by more companies and at a more reasonable rate.

Oh dude thats A brilliant idea, my best friend has a full clean licence for years, if I could get him insured and put me as named?
You really think that would drop it alot? Also ur bro is 40 and they want 4k... a friend of mine is
A girl in the same position, 31, she got quoted only 2250... first time driver.
As a side note I seem to remember that after 1.4 insurance leapfrogs at 1.5 for new dri ers?

Another maybe suggestion could be allegedly buying a cheapo car, insuring it and having the Subaru as a second card insured for weekend driving. Limited mileage on the Subaru to drive buy could potentially allow you to insure and run it then.

#hmblwgn

And I wouldt have to abide by the weekend driving rule? Like in the US, 17 year olds are getting insured on wrxs for 2k ffs,
Ireland is a kip hm

Oo the guessing game. You are over 30 if it counts for something but without ncb you will get r@ped if you get quoted at all. IMO no point asking us better set up a free week day and start ringing.
I would suggest that straight away tell them your situation and the make and model you are hoping to insure. This way they wont be wasting your time taking all your details only to tell you that they can quote you.
Good luck with your hunt and keep us posted with your result ????

Thanks man, I bet if I was a girl id get quoted, and for alot less too, even though 9/10 mistakes and nonsense
I see happening on the road is female drivers, I see girls unable to park on a runway yet theres no N or L
On their cars. Theyre all also so nervous and hesitant it causes accidents. So what gives?

He's 40 y.o.

You might know this man. I keep seeing african immigrant ladies recently in fairly recent cars, and ive noticed
So many of them are very dangerous drivers, they pull out infront of people, they dont look, cant park at all,
One was stuck because she couldnt reverse out of a parking spot becUse there was a car about 10 meters
Behind her, they keep getting in Accidents down here because theyre driving too fast without ever indicating
And I cant tell you how many ive seen driving ariund at night with no lights on. But ive been looking
And not One of them has L or N plates. They literally cant drive and are a danger to other drivers,
How are these people getting insurance quotes, and im sure none of them have full valid irish licences
Like theyre supposed too?

never heard of weekend only insurance
who does that ?

#hmblwgn

Named driver on a sti ..your car in your mates name is a desaster waiting to happen if you ask me ...I'm sure ther are well clued in on this ...but if it works and your happy try it
Insurance companies are looking for any little thing to get out of paying out so you would want to make sure its watertight

Named driver on a sti ..your car in your mates name is a desaster waiting to happen if you ask me ...I'm sure ther are well clued in on this ...but if it works and your happy try it
Insurance companies are looking for any little thing to get out of paying out so you would want to make sure its watertight

some insurers do 'open' policy, which means anyone can drive the car, whether they are insured or not. Not sure though, if they would allow you to do this kind of policy on a STI

What about just buying a classic Impreza and run it under classic insurance? I don't think they require so many years driving, think it's just once your old enough.

Buy a cheap run about and have a classic on 5000 miles a year cap, but all above board and legal

As I’m not Willy Wonka & don’t sugar coat sh1t....

I’d say your chances on insuring an 05 STI for under 2k are the same chances I have on being a
Test driver for M-Sport world Rally Team!!

I’m 37 with full Irish license since 18 years of age.

Went trade policy at 23 years old, cost of 5500.

At 37 it’s 997 fully comp.

Every year I “Try to get” quotes on my Spec C JDM...

Just for the laugh... I’ve got none in 10 years.

I really hope you get a quote honestly!! I wish you the best of
Luck.

Insurance is a C U Next Tuesday...!!!! On this island...

As the lads have said I think you honestly could be better looking at a nicely speced legacy or forester (I happen to have one for sale at the min ????) for a few years until you get a bit of no claims under your belt and then go for an sti insurance in this country is a joke

some insurers do 'open' policy, which means anyone can drive the car, whether they are insured or not. Not sure though, if they would allow you to do this kind of policy on a STI
Once they hear sti impreza id say all bets are off

As I’m not Willy Wonka & don’t sugar coat sh1t....

I’d say your chances on insuring an 05 STI for under 2k are the same chances I have on being a
Test driver for M-Sport world Rally Team!!

I’m 37 with full Irish license since 18 years of age.

Went trade policy at 23 years old, cost of 5500.

At 37 it’s 997 fully comp.

Every year I “Try to get” quotes on my Spec C JDM...

Just for the laugh... I’ve got none in 10 years.

I really hope you get a quote honestly!! I wish you the best of
Luck.

Insurance is a C U Next Tuesday...!!!! On this island...

Why? Ok theres a 02 bugeye here, 69k miles, nctd 2 weeks ago, taxed until jan 19. Timing belt
Changed at 34k miles along with water pump.
Its the 02 2.0L bugeye WRX. Standard unmodded wrx, its not the STi model. At 37 with a full first time
Licence, do you think they wont quote me at all? Or you think they will but itll be 4k?

What does 3k excess mean, id have to pay 4k AND 3k off the bat, or does that mean if something happens,
I have to pay the 3k excess before theyll pay out on the claim?? Thanks lads?

Back