Primitive male seeks Xbox guru :)

KENC

ISDC Club Member
I was hoping the lonely heart advert would draw an audience lol.

Right, I’m not into gaming, etc or a real tech head, one of the kids got an old xbox 360 slim 4gb, they wanted to get more storage so went into CEX, but the guy in shop gave out a normal lap top hard drive,

Now it does plug in to socket, but because it’s not in the Xbox casing can move around a good bit..

The drive is not showing when you look at storage.

After looking at YouTube i get the gist that there is a bit more involved, and that drive needs to be formatted and then a program used on laptop to make it work in Xbox??????

Any help appreciated, and I will try my best to understand it lol... kid is disappointed as it was birthday money and thought it was going to be plug and play.

i have xbox ONE and bought an external hard drive in argos and was plug and play . cant think it would be different on the 360 . possibly go back to *** shop and get seller to verify as should work .

Hi Ken, there are several ways the hard drive can be formatted - all dependent on what you want to use it for on the Xbox.

If you want to use it to load games on to, then it needs to be formatted by the Xbox itself through the settings menu (see copied section below on how to do that). The reason for this is that the Xbox uses a proprietary formatting system for the games drive(s) (to stop people from easily accessing it to "hack" games).

If just using it for storing files like music, pics and vids, then you can format it on the PC (FAT32 or NTFS) and it will be recognised by the Xbox, but just won't be able to move, or install, games to that drive.

One thing to consider though... the Xbox 360 is tech from a few years ago now.
When released it could only support drives up to 32Gb in size, which is tiny by today's standards.
The good news is that MS added support for up to 2Tb towards the end of 2015.
Is the one you have running the latest updates?
If not, update it online... because if it doesn't have support for the bigger drives yet it won't recognise them.

Copied from other source below on how to format a hdd using the Xbox.

Format a storage device

• Press the Guide button on your controller, go to Settings, and select System Settings.
  • Select Storage or Memory.
  • Select the storage device that you want to format, and then press Y on your controller.
  • Select Format. ...
  • Select Yes to format the storage device.

Hope that sorts it out for you... if not then indeed go back to the shop and exchange it for another one (different make and model).

As far as I’m aware she just needs the extra storage to play certain games,

Hi Ken

If you pay a Xbox live subscription and download the games to machine from Xbox live (subscription includes free games every month) you can delete them (to free up harddrive space and reinstall them any time in future)

But above as Charles said should work

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

What happened to just buying a game on a disc and spending weeks or days trying to pass all levels :icon_grin: I’m old :icon_biggrin:

Cartridge Keith??? I am tape man on the commodore take about 3hr to load a game never mind play it

Cartridge Keith??? I am tape man on the commodore take about 3hr to load a game never mind play it

That's if you got it to load fully in the first place... and didn't have to mess around with the head screws to get it to read the tape properly first... lol
:Falldownlaugh:

That's if you got it to load fully in the first place... and didn't have to mess around with the head screws to get it to read the tape properly first... lol
:Falldownlaugh:

I think that’s where kids got patience from years ago waiting for a game to load Charles my kids very little, want want why is it taking so long, are we there yet etc
Never mind building hard work starts when I get home [emoji23]

Back