Rear clunking

tractorman

I replaced the rear diff bushings last month, but the clunking is still there.
Rear suspension was refurbished last year, so I'm dismissing that.

I think I'll try the rear drop links next, what have you lads replaced them with? Any links?

I don't mind changing parts bit by bit as I need to replace most of them at this stage.

Last edited:
Re Rear droplinks, I used Whiteline base ones in silver. Worked well with the Whiteline Rear arb that I installed at the same time. I'd start with checking bushes as they all wear out eventually being made of rubber. If you want to go full hog, polybushed ones and replace as you go along. It's not a daily after all [emoji48]

Subaru Impreza Wrx SL Wagon 2004
#hmblwgn
www.instagram.com/hhphoto7

New droplinks installed today and STILL the exact same.
Anybody able to recommend a garage to bring it to so they can identify the clunk noise?

Ciaran already had the car and said it was the diff bushings. Need a garage to put the car on the ramps and change gears while on , to recreate the noise
Hell, polybush the whole car I say at this point. It's bound to sort out the clunking[emoji23]

In all seriousness, I'd say try to recreate noise and check bushings. Replace as you go along to out rule the bad ones. Win win as they are not designed to last this long and you're upgrading the car incrementally and will surely feel the difference. Much more satisfying too[emoji106]

Subaru Impreza Wrx SL Wagon 2004
#hmblwgn
www.instagram.com/hhphoto7

It could be a driveshaft nut that has backed off it can cause a popping/clunking sound (usually passenger rear)
If you loosen it and retorque to spec it should sort it .
I’d be 99 % I could identify the sound

i had a clunking coming from the front ,i had no wheel play and it turned out to be a wheel bearing it started when driving onto roundabouts fast then got worse over tim and was constant i thought it was my front diff ,,,just a wheel bearing and i got the bushes changed and diff oils ,worth a shot

Wouldnt dismiss AST as rebuilt. Keep an open mind.

And yes drive on ramp should be able to hear.

But not always. Only so many items there.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

Back