Airbag control module ECU location

hassen27

ISDC Club Member
Hi.

Anyone know where the Airbag Control Module Ecu is located please?

The airbag light is constantly on the dash now. If I start the car it goes off and then on permanently. I am trying to check and see if the module is defective as sometimes it's prone to corrosion. Pictures or links would be helpful.

Thanks,

Hassen

Hi.

Anyone know where the Airbag Control Module Ecu is located please?

The airbag light is constantly on the dash now. If I start the car it goes off and then on permanently. I am trying to check and see if the module is defective as sometimes it's prone to corrosion. Pictures or links would be helpful.

Thanks,

Hassen
First I'd check connection usually under driver seat sometimes gets crimped/damaged from drivers seat being moved about

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

First I'd check connection usually under driver seat sometimes gets crimped/damaged from drivers seat being moved about

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Thanks for the suggestion Ciaran. I had a look and took out the plug. Didn't get a chance to check it voltmeter but it looks clean and no rust/etc. The airbag light does come on and off intermittently which is making me think it's a connection issue somewhere.

Hi hassen if you put a volt meter and set it to resistance if you start to get a fluctuating reading could point it to being a faulty connection just need to find out where connections are go from airbag connection to under seat if changing most likely a cable connector issue. Had a similar issue on work van turned out being a loose cable in connection block process of alimentation

Hi hassen if you put a volt meter and set it to resistance if you start to get a fluctuating reading could point it to being a faulty connection just need to find out where connections are go from airbag connection to under seat if changing most likely a cable connector issue. Had a similar issue on work van turned out being a loose cable in connection block process of alimentation

Thanks Gary. Sound advice to work my way through a process of checking along the way and eliminating it one by one....or bring it to an auto electrician and get him to sort it out as that sounds like it will take time :)

We had an issue like that in the mazda 3 we have.
Turns out it was just a build up of static electricity.
Try unplugging it and plugging it back a few times.

It worked for us and the light hasn't come back on in over a year... :thumbsup:

Use ohms.... not volts!!

Unless you want a new face for cosmetic surgery....

Seen it several times... if unsure get a trained professional.

Yes +1 on Ohms measuring resistance... not volts for current.

Also, personally would disconnect battery whenever you plug in and out any connectors related to the airbag system... static or incomplete connection can set them off if you do not disconnect the battery (and press brake to drain remaining current).

Oh... and I posted a link to the full workshop manuals in the tech section 1 or 2 years ago and will have all locations and procedures etc in for any part / job a garage would do on your impreza.

Thanks for all the valuable information guys. Really appreciate it. I'll defintely be careful and disconnect battery when/if I try to get this sorted. I'll start with the easier things and move slowly through the steps. Electrical issues isn't my thing at all and I'll try to see if I can get some help to guide me through it as I'm not confident enough to sort it out [emoji4]

Subaru Impreza Wrx SL Wagon 2004
#hmblwgn
www.instagram.com/hhphoto7

Use ohms.... not volts!!

Unless you want a new face for cosmetic surgery....

Seen it several times... if unsure get a trained professional.

Ohms is the dangerous one, multimeter sends current down the line to determine resistance, never seen it happen but not supposed to be good idea to measure resistance of a squib. i would usually replace squib with 2-4 ohm resistor to determine if squib at fault.

SRS module under ashtray i think remove kick panels at side of centre console should give access

Last edited:
Ohms is the dangerous one, multimeter sends current down the line to determine resistance, never seen it happen but not supposed to be good idea to measure resistance of a squib. i would usually replace squib with 2-4 ohm resistor to determine if squib at fault.

SRS module under ashtray i think remove kick panels at side of centre console should give access
Thanks man. The more I think about it, the more I feel I need to get someone who is qualified to look into ot rather than me trying this out lol

#hmblwgn

Would it not be easier just to plug it in and see what fault is?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Would it not be easier just to plug it in and see what fault is?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Think when we tried it last time it had difficulties connecting with airbag ecu and 2nd time was saying all airbags have a fault. It seems like it's a wiring issue? I'll run a diagnostic again and report back.

#hmblwgn

Think when we tried it last time it had difficulties connecting with airbag ecu and 2nd time was saying all airbags have a fault. It seems like it's a wiring issue? I'll run a diagnostic again and report back.

#hmblwgn

Hi Hassan, if it were me with my lack of skills I'd bring it to auto electrician or good auto technician so I don't blow the car or myself up????

If the same as classic... it is at the bottom of the center dash bolted to the gearbox tunnel with some torx security bolts.

Hi Hassan, if it were me with my lack of skills I'd bring it to auto electrician or good auto technician so I don't blow the car or myself up[emoji16]
That's more my incling too at the moment. Either way, I saw a cheap used airbag ecu and bought it along with resistors for under the seat. if needed to bypass the airbag. I'll see how far my lack of skills take me and will ask the more qualified lads who are better at electrical issues for help once parts arrive next week. I have to strip a lot of the dash either way to install gauges in the next few weeks.

#hmblwgn

Back