Irish Subaru Drivers Club Forum - Powered by vBulletin

#

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 21

Thread: Airbag control module ECU location

  1. #1
    Full ISDC Club Member hassen27's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Loughlinstown, Dublin
    Posts
    1,193
    Thanks
    1,193
    Thanked 662 Times in 418 Posts
    Rides
    1
    Rep Power
    10

    Airbag control module ECU location

    Hi.

    Anyone know where the Airbag Control Module Ecu is located please?

    The airbag light is constantly on the dash now. If I start the car it goes off and then on permanently. I am trying to check and see if the module is defective as sometimes it's prone to corrosion. Pictures or links would be helpful.

    Thanks,

    Hassen

  2. The Following User Says Thank You to hassen27 For This Useful Post:

    Ciaran WRX (01-08-2018)

  3. #2
    Committe Members Ciaran WRX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Ireland
    Posts
    12,106
    Thanks
    4,782
    Thanked 4,353 Times in 2,406 Posts
    Rides
    1
    Rep Power
    60
    Quote Originally Posted by hassen27 View Post
    Hi.

    Anyone know where the Airbag Control Module Ecu is located please?

    The airbag light is constantly on the dash now. If I start the car it goes off and then on permanently. I am trying to check and see if the module is defective as sometimes it's prone to corrosion. Pictures or links would be helpful.

    Thanks,

    Hassen
    First I'd check connection usually under driver seat sometimes gets crimped/damaged from drivers seat being moved about

    Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

  4. #3
    Full ISDC Club Member hassen27's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Loughlinstown, Dublin
    Posts
    1,193
    Thanks
    1,193
    Thanked 662 Times in 418 Posts
    Rides
    1
    Rep Power
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by Ciaran WRX View Post
    First I'd check connection usually under driver seat sometimes gets crimped/damaged from drivers seat being moved about

    Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
    Thanks for the suggestion Ciaran. I had a look and took out the plug. Didn't get a chance to check it voltmeter but it looks clean and no rust/etc. The airbag light does come on and off intermittently which is making me think it's a connection issue somewhere.

  5. #4
    Full ISDC Club Member Gary sti's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    Dublin
    Posts
    2,144
    Thanks
    1,594
    Thanked 1,253 Times in 746 Posts
    Rides
    0
    Rep Power
    16
    Hi hassen if you put a volt meter and set it to resistance if you start to get a fluctuating reading could point it to being a faulty connection just need to find out where connections are go from airbag connection to under seat if changing most likely a cable connector issue. Had a similar issue on work van turned out being a loose cable in connection block process of alimentation

  6. The Following User Says Thank You to Gary sti For This Useful Post:

    hassen27 (01-08-2018)

  7. #5
    Full ISDC Club Member hassen27's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Loughlinstown, Dublin
    Posts
    1,193
    Thanks
    1,193
    Thanked 662 Times in 418 Posts
    Rides
    1
    Rep Power
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary sti View Post
    Hi hassen if you put a volt meter and set it to resistance if you start to get a fluctuating reading could point it to being a faulty connection just need to find out where connections are go from airbag connection to under seat if changing most likely a cable connector issue. Had a similar issue on work van turned out being a loose cable in connection block process of alimentation
    Thanks Gary. Sound advice to work my way through a process of checking along the way and eliminating it one by one....or bring it to an auto electrician and get him to sort it out as that sounds like it will take time :)

  8. #6
    Petrolheads
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Annaghdown, Co. Galway.
    Posts
    873
    Thanks
    172
    Thanked 47 Times in 39 Posts
    Rides
    0
    Rep Power
    10
    We had an issue like that in the mazda 3 we have.
    Turns out it was just a build up of static electricity.
    Try unplugging it and plugging it back a few times.

    It worked for us and the light hasn't come back on in over a year...

  9. The Following User Says Thank You to adrianfa For This Useful Post:

    hassen27 (02-08-2018)

  10. #7
    Webmaster SCOOBYCOLM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Dublin
    Posts
    20,960
    Thanks
    4,986
    Thanked 2,781 Times in 1,890 Posts
    Rides
    2
    Rep Power
    10
    Your squib is wanked I’d guess


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Dashcam Sales & Installation https://dashcam.ie/
    Man and a Van Dublin https://manandavan.ie/

  11. The Following User Says Thank You to SCOOBYCOLM For This Useful Post:

    hassen27 (02-08-2018)

  12. #8
    Full ISDC Club Member Grahamo spec c's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Dublin
    Posts
    3,148
    Thanks
    1,000
    Thanked 734 Times in 425 Posts
    Rides
    0
    Rep Power
    20
    Use ohms.... not volts!!

    Unless you want a new face for cosmetic surgery....

    Seen it several times... if unsure get a trained professional.
    im not here for a long time,im here for a good time colin mcrae. r.i.p.

  13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Grahamo spec c For This Useful Post:

    hassen27 (02-08-2018), SCOOBYCOLM (02-08-2018)

  14. #9
    Webmaster SCOOBYCOLM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Dublin
    Posts
    20,960
    Thanks
    4,986
    Thanked 2,781 Times in 1,890 Posts
    Rides
    2
    Rep Power
    10
    as above easier and less risky ways to get a powdered face
    Dashcam Sales & Installation https://dashcam.ie/
    Man and a Van Dublin https://manandavan.ie/

  15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SCOOBYCOLM For This Useful Post:

    Grahamo spec c (02-08-2018), hassen27 (02-08-2018)

  16. #10
    Full ISDC Club Member Keadeen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Wicklow
    Posts
    1,930
    Thanks
    324
    Thanked 632 Times in 381 Posts
    Rides
    2
    Rep Power
    13
    Yes +1 on Ohms measuring resistance... not volts for current.

    Also, personally would disconnect battery whenever you plug in and out any connectors related to the airbag system... static or incomplete connection can set them off if you do not disconnect the battery (and press brake to drain remaining current).
    96 STI v3
    04 WRX SL
    07 Hawkeye STI UK Type

  17. The Following User Says Thank You to Keadeen For This Useful Post:

    hassen27 (02-08-2018)

  18. #11
    Full ISDC Club Member Keadeen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Wicklow
    Posts
    1,930
    Thanks
    324
    Thanked 632 Times in 381 Posts
    Rides
    2
    Rep Power
    13
    Oh... and I posted a link to the full workshop manuals in the tech section 1 or 2 years ago and will have all locations and procedures etc in for any part / job a garage would do on your impreza.
    96 STI v3
    04 WRX SL
    07 Hawkeye STI UK Type

  19. The Following User Says Thank You to Keadeen For This Useful Post:

    hassen27 (02-08-2018)

  20. #12
    Full ISDC Club Member hassen27's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Loughlinstown, Dublin
    Posts
    1,193
    Thanks
    1,193
    Thanked 662 Times in 418 Posts
    Rides
    1
    Rep Power
    10
    Thanks for all the valuable information guys. Really appreciate it. I'll defintely be careful and disconnect battery when/if I try to get this sorted. I'll start with the easier things and move slowly through the steps. Electrical issues isn't my thing at all and I'll try to see if I can get some help to guide me through it as I'm not confident enough to sort it out

    Subaru Impreza Wrx SL Wagon 2004
    #hmblwgn
    www.instagram.com/hhphoto7

  21. #13
    Full ISDC Club Member seanie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Clare
    Posts
    1,241
    Thanks
    17
    Thanked 256 Times in 157 Posts
    Rides
    3
    Rep Power
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by Grahamo spec c View Post
    Use ohms.... not volts!!

    Unless you want a new face for cosmetic surgery....

    Seen it several times... if unsure get a trained professional.
    Ohms is the dangerous one, multimeter sends current down the line to determine resistance, never seen it happen but not supposed to be good idea to measure resistance of a squib. i would usually replace squib with 2-4 ohm resistor to determine if squib at fault.

    SRS module under ashtray i think remove kick panels at side of centre console should give access
    Last edited by seanie; 02-08-2018 at 23:27.
    V5 STI TYPE R V-LIMITED
    BOB RAWLE MAPPED 346BHP/328FTLB

  22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to seanie For This Useful Post:

    hassen27 (02-08-2018), SCOOBYCOLM (02-08-2018)

  23. #14
    Full ISDC Club Member hassen27's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Loughlinstown, Dublin
    Posts
    1,193
    Thanks
    1,193
    Thanked 662 Times in 418 Posts
    Rides
    1
    Rep Power
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by seanie View Post
    Ohms is the dangerous one, multimeter sends current down the line to determine resistance, never seen it happen but not supposed to be good idea to measure resistance of a squib. i would usually replace squib with 2-4 ohm resistor to determine if squib at fault.

    SRS module under ashtray i think remove kick panels at side of centre console should give access
    Thanks man. The more I think about it, the more I feel I need to get someone who is qualified to look into ot rather than me trying this out lol

    Subaru Impreza Wrx SL Wagon 2004
    #hmblwgn
    www.instagram.com/hhphoto7

  24. #15
    Full ISDC Club Member seanie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Clare
    Posts
    1,241
    Thanks
    17
    Thanked 256 Times in 157 Posts
    Rides
    3
    Rep Power
    10
    Would it not be easier just to plug it in and see what fault is?


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    V5 STI TYPE R V-LIMITED
    BOB RAWLE MAPPED 346BHP/328FTLB

  25. The Following User Says Thank You to seanie For This Useful Post:

    hassen27 (03-08-2018)

  26. #16
    Full ISDC Club Member hassen27's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Loughlinstown, Dublin
    Posts
    1,193
    Thanks
    1,193
    Thanked 662 Times in 418 Posts
    Rides
    1
    Rep Power
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by seanie View Post
    Would it not be easier just to plug it in and see what fault is?


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Think when we tried it last time it had difficulties connecting with airbag ecu and 2nd time was saying all airbags have a fault. It seems like it's a wiring issue? I'll run a diagnostic again and report back.

    Subaru Impreza Wrx SL Wagon 2004
    #hmblwgn
    www.instagram.com/hhphoto7

  27. #17
    Full ISDC Club Member Pedro555's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    clare
    Posts
    2,725
    Thanks
    2,609
    Thanked 1,428 Times in 821 Posts
    Rides
    0
    Rep Power
    21
    Quote Originally Posted by hassen27 View Post
    Think when we tried it last time it had difficulties connecting with airbag ecu and 2nd time was saying all airbags have a fault. It seems like it's a wiring issue? I'll run a diagnostic again and report back.

    Subaru Impreza Wrx SL Wagon 2004
    #hmblwgn
    www.instagram.com/hhphoto7
    Hi Hassan, if it were me with my lack of skills I'd bring it to auto electrician or good auto technician so I don't blow the car or myself up😁
    Subaru Impreza WRX STI Type R -Version 4 V Limited

  28. The Following User Says Thank You to Pedro555 For This Useful Post:

    hassen27 (04-08-2018)

  29. #18
    Octane Boostaholics JAMIE-TYPERV6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    North Wicklow
    Posts
    9,246
    Thanks
    70
    Thanked 305 Times in 145 Posts
    Rides
    0
    Rep Power
    24
    If the same as classic... it is at the bottom of the center dash bolted to the gearbox tunnel with some torx security bolts.

  30. The Following User Says Thank You to JAMIE-TYPERV6 For This Useful Post:

    hassen27 (04-08-2018)

  31. #19
    Full ISDC Club Member hassen27's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Loughlinstown, Dublin
    Posts
    1,193
    Thanks
    1,193
    Thanked 662 Times in 418 Posts
    Rides
    1
    Rep Power
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by Pedro555 View Post
    Hi Hassan, if it were me with my lack of skills I'd bring it to auto electrician or good auto technician so I don't blow the car or myself up
    That's more my incling too at the moment. Either way, I saw a cheap used airbag ecu and bought it along with resistors for under the seat. if needed to bypass the airbag. I'll see how far my lack of skills take me and will ask the more qualified lads who are better at electrical issues for help once parts arrive next week. I have to strip a lot of the dash either way to install gauges in the next few weeks.



    Subaru Impreza Wrx SL Wagon 2004
    #hmblwgn
    www.instagram.com/hhphoto7

  32. The Following User Says Thank You to hassen27 For This Useful Post:

    Pedro555 (04-08-2018)

  33. #20
    Full ISDC Club Member hassen27's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Loughlinstown, Dublin
    Posts
    1,193
    Thanks
    1,193
    Thanked 662 Times in 418 Posts
    Rides
    1
    Rep Power
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by JAMIE-TYPERV6 View Post
    If the same as classic... it is at the bottom of the center dash bolted to the gearbox tunnel with some torx security bolts.
    I think it's the same in the newage cars too. I'll check properly and report back

    Subaru Impreza Wrx SL Wagon 2004
    #hmblwgn
    www.instagram.com/hhphoto7

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •