New car

Agree the t5 is a super car ...fantastic engine with a great sound but tax is the killer ...looking to go classic
I have a few cars here a every time i look there is a motor tax letter in the door ....56 euro and something cool to look at is what im after and if i join some classic car club in cavan the insurance drops to 150 a year ...hard to argue with that.
The pug was 470 to insure and 510 to tax and liked to drink because it just made you act the b0ii0x in it ...great little engine and as joe said the price is only dropping on it.
Im thinking the 34 will at least be worth tje same in a few years and with tje tax and insurance it will be cheap motoring for a few years ...our car park in work is like a throw back to the 80's with datsuns ans asconas everywhere lol
Be careful with a 34 Keith check the rear aches and the rear shock towers thoroughly as they suffer from rust issues in a big way [emoji106]

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Keith as you said you have short run to work have u considered just using the scooby

No cost to buying something else no second maintaince cost insurance/ upkeep ect ect..?..

Be careful with a 34 Keith check the rear aches and the rear shock towers thoroughly as they suffer from rust issues in a big way [emoji106]

Ill try get timo to have a look that lad that has it i know him so he said its mint ...it looks mint

Keith as you said you have short run to work have u considered just using the scooby

No cost to buying something else no second maintaince cost insurance/ upkeep ect ect..?..

I hear what your saying ciaran and i do drive the subaru in when im on the early shift as there is loads of space to park because all the buses are out for the day and the garage is empty..you could park a plain in the yard...but when im on late shift i could be finished at 12.30 and all the buses are back in the yard so we dont have much parking ..if you leave your car in the yard it has to be moved at 9 befor the shunt starts for the night. There are only about 25 propper parking spots in the garage that you can park all night....cars left in the yard are like fresh meat to the lads shunting lol they have reversed into a few yokes at this stage ...one was even pushed down a 30 foot drop into the liffey. So im just nervous leaving the subaru there late so an extra car is the way to go ...something im not 2 worried about.......in saying all that i have free travel and could get the ghost bus home but its 1.30 again he gets me home

Thanks colm i have seen some of the but a few there i didn't so cheers for that that Mitsubishi is nice

That makes total sence Keith[emoji106]

Know someone that started there recently and made me nervous driving work jeeps never mind a bus [emoji16]

Like the idea if old yolk to good look on search

Check out this DoneDeal Ad!
https://www.donedeal.ie/vintagecars-for-sale/bmw-e34/17430534

This is the car im thinking about next year it will be 55veuro tax

Nice car I was admiring that myself last few weeks
it has the m sport front and rear bumpers (M5 KIT)
its just missing the side sills
u.s. rear lamps always look well on em
a 520 not as desirable as the 525 but still has that sweet straight 6
if checks out cant see it loosing money and i dont think it would cost to much to maintain
throw the twin rear back box of the 2.5 finish it of nice
bits are still readily available for these and there isn't much to go wrong
they were the best made of them
very nice
a yes from me :thumbsup:

Very nice
i see he has a twin exhaust on it there so might come with it
i always loved those wheels afaik there BBS and came as a option on the e39
there a really nice wheel
have you ever owned a car with a wood wheel before there savage
buy it :icon_grin:

That e39 520 does look nice (and comfy too). Funny how I say that now while at the time I hated that model (well especially the back as the front is nice enough). I suppose it has aged well (maybe due to disappointing looks of modern cars??).

As for running costs... yes little age related things will need doing, but that is nothing compared to depreciation costs on a newer vehicle -- and... doing those things, if well documented, only add to the value if ever you wanted to sell it again. At worst any such work over the duration of ownership will be cost neutral - unlike a newer car that will also need bits and pieces and will still depreciate on top of that (unless brand new, all cars will need stuff like droplinks, bushings, brake hoses, bearings etc etc during ownership if holding on to it for more than a few months...). As Colm pointed out, that model is relatively simple and reasonably reliable (especially when compared to the horror show that is today's BMW reliability record).

On that model 5.20i though... having driven several back in the day as rentals and friends' cars... it is ok to get around, but personally would class it as pretty gutless power wise for a Beemer - to the point where it will irk you before long if driving it as a daily. Maybe that is not a concern for you as you have the Scooby for power fix etc, but just be aware it is a bit sluggish unless caned and even then it is not exactly fast.
Another thing... I am a great fan of LPG and have owned several LPG powered cars... however... BMW engines do NOT like LPG. Some are fine on it, but many develop issues with headgaskets and burned valve seats. Also, LPG conversion is going to set you back 1500-2000 on a six cylinder and unless you do savage mileage, or plan to hold on the car a good many years it is not worth it. Another thing to consider is that the LPG conversion would hurt future "classic" values if selling on.

Very nice
i see he has a twin exhaust on it there so might come with it
i always loved those wheels afaik there BBS and came as a option on the e39
there a really nice wheel
have you ever owned a car with a wood wheel before there savage
buy it :icon_grin:
The steering wheel is cool and looks like an original alpina which is rare

That e39 520 does look nice (and comfy too). Funny how I say that now while at the time I hated that model (well especially the back as the front is nice enough). I suppose it has aged well (maybe due to disappointing looks of modern cars??).

As for running costs... yes little age related things will need doing, but that is nothing compared to depreciation costs on a newer vehicle -- and... doing those things, if well documented, only add to the value if ever you wanted to sell it again. At worst any such work over the duration of ownership will be cost neutral - unlike a newer car that will also need bits and pieces and will still depreciate on top of that (unless brand new, all cars will need stuff like droplinks, bushings, brake hoses, bearings etc etc during ownership if holding on to it for more than a few months...). As Colm pointed out, that model is relatively simple and reasonably reliable (especially when compared to the horror show that is today's BMW reliability record).

On that model 5.20i though... having driven several back in the day as rentals and friends' cars... it is ok to get around, but personally would class it as pretty gutless power wise for a Beemer - to the point where it will irk you before long if driving it as a daily. Maybe that is not a concern for you as you have the Scooby for power fix etc, but just be aware it is a bit sluggish unless caned and even then it is not exactly fast.
Another thing... I am a great fan of LPG and have owned several LPG powered cars... however... BMW engines do NOT like LPG. Some are fine on it, but many develop issues with headgaskets and burned valve seats. Also, LPG conversion is going to set you back 1500-2000 on a six cylinder and unless you do savage mileage, or plan to hold on the car a good many years it is not worth it. Another thing to consider is that the LPG conversion would hurt future "classic" values if selling on.
Yea i have heard tjey are not the most powerful yoke but its just in and out of work and probably a good thing as the pug always got the hoon out in me ...and i really need my lience

Can you send me some specs and pictures j

I didn't kill it some bloke cut across me took the front off it...its not bad but its a wright off

Back