New car

keith dublin

Member Number 161Full ISDC Members 2015
As my daily is going to the big scrap heap in the sky im in the martet for a new car ....my heart is saying classic bmw e34 165 to insure and 55 euro tax for a car costing about 4500 euro.
My head is saying 2010 oil burner 200 a year tax about 500 insurance fro a car costing about 5k....

The bmw is a 520 petrol and the mpg on them is not great
The other would be probably about 55mpg
What would you guys advice head or heart.....as im caught between a rock and a hard place .........or any other options
Cheers again
K

My boss had an old 92 e34 sitting around. Promised to me for taking away. I need to get it picked up, lovely old car!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I understand that allright but one is getting old and stuff will fail ..so maintaining it might cost more in the long run ..its going to be a daily driver ..

Why do you think that ken ...fuel cost ..
I dont have a long commute to work and i have had a horn for one for a while now but im unsure..had you a navy e39

I was looking at lpg convertion to try make it more efficient
Or even some day dropping the 530d e39 m57 engine into it 55mpg im reading on uk sites

Just one thing, Keith, classic insurance might only cover limited mileage.
When I had the Justy on the road under classic insurance, I could only drive up to 4k miles. I
also had to have a proper daily insured as well. (Maybe you already know that bit, but just mentioning it.)

:thumbsup:

Just one thing, Keith, classic insurance might only cover limited mileage.
When I had the Justy on the road under classic insurance, I could only drive up to 4k miles. I
also had to have a proper daily insured as well. (Maybe you already know that bit, but just mentioning it.)

:thumbsup:

Yea i asked that question and its 8k is the max
I have another policy so it works out grand.

Why do you think that ken ...fuel cost ..
I dont have a long commute to work and i have had a horn for one for a while now but im unsure..had you a navy e39

I would just think that the novelty will wear off it with you when you use it everyday, maybe I’m wrong. They are a lovely car, especially when fettled a little bit,
Yes I had an e39 Msport, lovely car but being the later 520i was 2.2 so tax was a bit saucy on it and it was nothing spectacular on power

I was looking at lpg convertion to try make it more efficient
Or even some day dropping the 530d e39 m57 engine into it 55mpg im reading on uk sites

I have that engine in my e60
its a great engine , one of the best made no doubt but
i think i get 30 odd mpg or 20 odd
i used to get 12-14 in my e34 525i
although im heavy enough on the pedal

Volvo 850 T5 ?

seen a lovely one up in bluebell industrial the other day
d1915583-f4ab-45cf-bd84-1641b6de17b7.jpg
BBS CH wheels or something
big brakes front and rear
lovely sound
awesome car

always good classics on https://www.carandclassic.co.uk/

Attachments

• d1915583-f4ab-45cf-bd84-1641b6de17b7.jpg
    d1915583-f4ab-45cf-bd84-1641b6de17b7.jpg
    212.6 KB · Views: 69
Agree the t5 is a super car ...fantastic engine with a great sound but tax is the killer ...looking to go classic
I have a few cars here a every time i look there is a motor tax letter in the door ....56 euro and something cool to look at is what im after and if i join some classic car club in cavan the insurance drops to 150 a year ...hard to argue with that.
The pug was 470 to insure and 510 to tax and liked to drink because it just made you act the b0ii0x in it ...great little engine and as joe said the price is only dropping on it.
Im thinking the 34 will at least be worth tje same in a few years and with tje tax and insurance it will be cheap motoring for a few years ...our car park in work is like a throw back to the 80's with datsuns ans asconas everywhere lol

Last edited:
Back