Irish Subaru Drivers Club Forum - Powered by vBulletin

#

Thread: Air Conditioning Leak

Thanks
    Rides

Air Conditioning Leak

Hi, I've a leak in my air con on my Forester. 2.5 ten, registered 2005, 2006 MY, imported from the UK. When i last got the A/C re-gassed, there was a continual audible hiss every time the A/C was turned on. The gas has all gone now.

I'd like to get it fixed even though the car is almost 13 years old. Can anyone recommend a repairer in Limerick / Munster? Am i best to replace parts with OEM or are OEM parts the only ones that can be used? What kind of prices could I be looking at to replace major parts?

I had the engine removed in 2017 to repair the head gasket. A/C was working fine before that happened and then developed this leak after the car came back. Maybe a pipe was knocked when the engine was being removed / replaced? Any thoughts / info greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    Rides
    Just thought I'd post an update on the below. I did find an A/C repair man in Limerick and he suggested that it could be the o-rings is all needs replacing given that the system is 13 years old. I got hold of the schematic, ordered the o-rings from Subaru America (cheaper than Subaru Ireland) and i'll shortly be gassing up the A/C (after getting the o-rings installed) and see how that goes. All it will have cost me is €23 for the o-rings and a regas which would need to happen anyway.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,551 Times in 976 Posts
    Rides
    I have a leak in my system and it's the pipe itself. I need to source the whole piece. It's 200ish new from Subaru which is crazy so I think I'll pick one up from a broken car. Glad you got yours fixed.

Full ISDC Club Member
    Thanks
    Rides
    My canister is leaking on the side of the rad.. and as its a weekend car and I never used the air con I think im just going to remove the air con system

Thanks
    Rides
    Sheriff, if you know the OEM part you are after, try Subaru America and get a price from them.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,551 Times in 976 Posts
    Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by ocarros View Post
    Sheriff, if you know the OEM part you are after, try Subaru America and get a price from them.
    I know the exact piece. I can actually pinpoint my finger where the leak is. I'll try SOA and see. If not, a breaker will do. I have a sunroof and windows for aircon during Summer.
    Last edited by Sheriff; 07-11-2018 at 21:26.

Petrolheads
    Thanks
    Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by ocarros View Post
    Just thought I'd post an update on the below. I did find an A/C repair man in Limerick and he suggested that it could be the o-rings is all needs replacing given that the system is 13 years old. I got hold of the schematic, ordered the o-rings from Subaru America (cheaper than Subaru Ireland) and i'll shortly be gassing up the A/C (after getting the o-rings installed) and see how that goes. All it will have cost me is €23 for the o-rings and a regas which would need to happen anyway.
    He should be able to tell you exactly where the leak is, by using a detector.
    Gas is €80 a shot unless you'd be going for a DIY kit.
    What you need to do is: find where the leak is, repair/replace as required, do a vacuum test...........and if the vacuum test works out ok, then you know you have a sealed system.
    You should only go ahead and have new gas put in after that, otherwise you're only throwing your money away.

If you've only got a small leak, you could do a top up at the beginning of summer each year, and it will get you by for the summer.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to adrianfa For This Useful Post:

ocarros (09-11-2018)