Air Conditioning Leak

ocarros

Sunday Drivers
Hi, I've a leak in my air con on my Forester. 2.5 ten, registered 2005, 2006 MY, imported from the UK. When i last got the A/C re-gassed, there was a continual audible hiss every time the A/C was turned on. The gas has all gone now.

I'd like to get it fixed even though the car is almost 13 years old. Can anyone recommend a repairer in Limerick / Munster? Am i best to replace parts with OEM or are OEM parts the only ones that can be used? What kind of prices could I be looking at to replace major parts?

I had the engine removed in 2017 to repair the head gasket. A/C was working fine before that happened and then developed this leak after the car came back. Maybe a pipe was knocked when the engine was being removed / replaced? Any thoughts / info greatly appreciated.

Just thought I'd post an update on the below. I did find an A/C repair man in Limerick and he suggested that it could be the o-rings is all needs replacing given that the system is 13 years old. I got hold of the schematic, ordered the o-rings from Subaru America (cheaper than Subaru Ireland) and i'll shortly be gassing up the A/C (after getting the o-rings installed) and see how that goes. All it will have cost me is €23 for the o-rings and a regas which would need to happen anyway.

I have a leak in my system and it's the pipe itself. I need to source the whole piece. It's 200ish new from Subaru which is crazy so I think I'll pick one up from a broken car. Glad you got yours fixed.

My canister is leaking on the side of the rad.. and as its a weekend car and I never used the air con I think im just going to remove the air con system

Sheriff, if you know the OEM part you are after, try Subaru America and get a price from them.

Sheriff, if you know the OEM part you are after, try Subaru America and get a price from them.

I know the exact piece. I can actually pinpoint my finger where the leak is. I'll try SOA and see. If not, a breaker will do. I have a sunroof and windows for aircon during Summer. :hammerhead:

Last edited:
Just thought I'd post an update on the below. I did find an A/C repair man in Limerick and he suggested that it could be the o-rings is all needs replacing given that the system is 13 years old. I got hold of the schematic, ordered the o-rings from Subaru America (cheaper than Subaru Ireland) and i'll shortly be gassing up the A/C (after getting the o-rings installed) and see how that goes. All it will have cost me is €23 for the o-rings and a regas which would need to happen anyway.

He should be able to tell you exactly where the leak is, by using a detector.
Gas is €80 a shot unless you'd be going for a DIY kit.
What you need to do is: find where the leak is, repair/replace as required, do a vacuum test...........and if the vacuum test works out ok, then you know you have a sealed system.
You should only go ahead and have new gas put in after that, otherwise you're only throwing your money away.

If you've only got a small leak, you could do a top up at the beginning of summer each year, and it will get you by for the summer.

Back