Thinking about a change

Paul555RA

Petrolheads
The foz is a great car but Been driving scoobys for nearly ten years now kinda getting itchy feet and considering changing. Thing is not sure what to go for if i do i wanna come up a couple years maybe 06-08 kinda range. Budget will be what I can sell the foz for but still want something with a bit of poke that's fun to drive kinda thinking along the lines of a focus st, Megane rs, golf gti or opc Astra something along those lines. Any thoughts or opinions would be appreciated as haven't driven any of those cars or any suggestions that could suit me. I have loved being part of this club the past few years and that is one of the reasons I have stayed with subarus but unfortunately at the minute with work and family commitments I just don't have the time to make the meets etc

Last edited:
I have a bit of experience driving a few of these
Focus st brother in law had two of them good car nice weighted feel off car I would buy one. look for good service history plenty over in Uk but who with knows vrt on them
Golf I thought at time of driving years back was a very well balanced car good power delivery does what it says on the tin can give engine troubles if not serviced regular
Megan never in one but tractor man had one
Astra opc don’t buy one just loads of torque steer in wet was in one a few times I would take the golf any day over astra as. just felt it was only trying to beat golf on numbers and did on paper but in reality couldn’t deliver with dirive abilities it felt like it was trying to catch you out
Me between golf and focus st as I haven’t been in Megan but probably a very good car

You know, if the tax wasn't an issue... seen as your talking OPC, I've always said I'd love an OPC Vectra! Now I've had 2 SRI petrol Vectra, absolutely great feel on the road. Comfort and fairly decent tech too, had an Ulter twin exit exhaust system on the latest one, lovely sound from it combined with a good intake
OPC Vectra is 2.8 V6. Full recaro interior, big brake set up etc. I've driven the older Vectra B 2.8 V6. Some serious torque there, but have no experience with the newer shape.
Should look into them if considering the Astra, it's another step up from those

Personally, I'd prefer a saloon over a hatch just for road feel any day

There was a huge thread somewhere on here about hot hatches around the time scrawn was selling his opc. There were pages with opinions about them

Cheers guys realistically 2.5 is the biggest I'd wanna go for tax purposes. Doesn't necessarily have to be a hot hatch but for budget reasons and wanting to come up a couple of years realistically that's what I'm looking at. I like the rx8s but I know the engines give a lot of grief and to stay well clear.

I'd say if you could find a rebuilt RX8 it wouldn't be that much hassle if it was looked after properly since the build.
It's lack of knowledge that gives those the reputation. A rebuilt rotary with proper maintenence could last well over the 100k, and your not gonna put up that much mileage lol
Obviously the newer the better, Mazda replaced the starter in early 05 too which was known to be troublesome too for example.

Fozzy is well up on the rotary scene, much more than myself. May be worth giving him a shout if serious about an 8 ????

A dc5 integra type R , think they were made up till 2007
Never really a Honda fan until I test drove and bought a mates dc5
Handles really well , not to stiff & not to bad on juice
Really fun car to drive with bullet proof engine :thumbsup:

Don't have any complaints about my opc at all. My old one is for sale again..i also owned a dc5 but they are gone crazy expensive and 07 ones are rare as hens teeth

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

I'd say if you could find a rebuilt RX8 it wouldn't be that much hassle if it was looked after properly since the build.
It's lack of knowledge that gives those the reputation. A rebuilt rotary with proper maintenence could last well over the 100k, and your not gonna put up that much mileage lol
Obviously the newer the better, Mazda replaced the starter in early 05 too which was known to be troublesome too for example.

Fozzy is well up on the rotary scene, much more than myself. May be worth giving him a shout if serious about an 8 ????

As above really - I was daily driving an rx8 before and it was super reliable - they’re heavy on fuel and have little torque but in terms of handling and driving experience, they’re great fun. I wrote an article for Mick’s garage a year back - a buyers guide for an rx8 so if it’s in contention let me know and I’ll fire you on a link. Can also point you in the right direction for some decent examples.

They’re a bargain buy at the moment and will rise in value in the coming years

I think I read that before... was pretty informative IIRC, yeah I considered that myself before the WRX and after viewing 4 I just decided not to, the good ones don't pop up for sale too often I'd imagine

I've always had a thing for the dc5s but realistically the budget won't be there for one. The rx8 I still don't know I haven't driven one but I like how they look I get what your saying about their rep but id still be very wary. The STs I know the engine is basically bullet proof once left standard which is a big plus. The Meganes I don't know much about either I know the hatch looks are like marmite but I like them. The opc I'm still 50 50 over but to be honest I think I'd lean more towards the st

I seen a good one there few months back, before I bought the WRX, actually was going to view it, rang the seller and got a good run down over the phone, fresh rebuild with a lot of preventative measures carried out, still under rebuild warranty too, it sold in under a week that one. Couldn't get up in time lol

I'd say the good ones will go alright, but yeah, small and limited market in fairness

Be no harm Looking at the jdm import market. You might pick up something tasty at auction

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

And when you get bored good luck trying to sell one. Also nearly impossible to tell if the tips of the wankle engine are fooked without a strip down.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Compression test will tell you straight away. Need a proper rotary tester though

The foz is a great car but Been driving scoobys for nearly ten years now kinda getting itchy feet and considering changing. Thing is not sure what to go for if i do i wanna come up a couple years maybe 06-08 kinda range. Budget will be what I can sell the foz for but still want something with a bit of poke that's fun to drive kinda thinking along the lines of a focus st, Megane rs, golf gti or opc Astra something along those lines. Any thoughts or opinions would be appreciated as haven't driven any of those cars or any suggestions that could suit me. I have loved being part of this club the past few years and that is one of the reasons I have stayed with subarus but unfortunately at the minute with work and family commitments I just don't have the time to make the meets etc
Iv had all of the above and can give you some good advice if you want to ring me. 0871801089.
Too much typing involved lol

Cheers for all the input guys it is much appreciated I've been with the same brand for so long now it's tricky to know where to go next. I think I'm prob gonna rule the rx8 out as the cons seem to outweigh the pros.
Civic type r recently crossed my mind as well but I have an issue with how many type r reps their is out there so can take away from a genuine one. I don't think my budget is gonna allow me to import by the time you add on shipping fees VAT VRT etc.
@tractorman thanks for offer I'll def give you a bell during the week be very good to get some feedback from someone who has lived with what I'm considering

I have a 2008 SEAT Leon FR DSG, same engine, brakes and suspension components as a Mk5 Gti Golf. Cheaper than a golf and I find it easier to insure. It is a little stiffer than a golf and less refined, which adds to the appeal of it for me. Downside is on a regular motorway drive it is noiser inside, but not the point where it is annoying. If was buying again I would get a Cupra, as have the bigger turbo, brakes and a few things like lighter wishbones IIRC. I also had a Mk5 Gti, as above, but more refined.

Back