Getting back need advice

DAVEB4

Sunday Drivers
hi guys after a few yrs away from subaru im strongly thinking of getting back into 1 this week
im looking at a 2006 hawkeye 2.5 wrx 155kms on the clock full service history timing belt discs and pads just done no mods total standard well looked after just 1 or 2 small marks
anything to look out for as i was told they are troublesome but so is all cars
i would very much appreciate any advise cheers guys

DAVE B4

2.5 tax is what would put me off
Didnt the 2.5 engine suffer from head problems ..
Tommy or duffman will be along to confirm

They suffer from head gasket failure and piston ring land failure, more so in the sti model

Tax is the killer on these cars but it's only an extra 370quid a year over the 2.0L cars which is only one euro a day more roughly when you think about it, it is hard paying it in full though!! Otherwise it's 300 every 3 months or 1200 a year and it's not worth that.

I have my hawk 2.5 WRX 8 years now and besides 2 very annoying wiring issues it's been very reliable with no issues. I drive my car fast but not hard and that's the key to reliablity with them.
The torque from the 2.5 is great so you don't have to rev them to hard to be quick but they WONT take hard driving for to long as you'll have head gasket issues or piston problems.

If 250 bhp and 290 torque is not enough for you then don't buy one. Even if you wanted more power and you put on a bigger turbo and remapped it, the motor will let go and if you rebuild for the power with better head bolts and piston rings the 5 speed box or brakes won't take the extra power.

Cheap car at the moment for what they are but you get what you pay for with the high tax and limited mods with the engine

Put up a link to the car your interested in, they are very hard to sell

As mentioned all ready heads lift when boost is upped . If kept standard the wrx seem ok . Been a few let go but that's the risk with any motor of that age imo
Looks a nice car

Back