timing belt snapped in legacy

subadude

ISDC Club Member
anyone any idea why a timing belt would snap after just 20k . full gates kit put in 20k ago along with water pump. ripped and all pully's tensioners perfect etc. I presume its engine out job again to replace bent valves etc. Really gutted as only 130km done and belt was done at 110km 16 months ago.

Sorry to hear - sickening when that happens!

Belts can snap for loads of reasons, even when fairly low mileage on them. (incorrect install, failed tensioner or idler pulley, failed waterpump impeller locking shaft, slight burr or nick on one of the toothed pulley's damaging belt, or nick on belt itself from new or during install, etc, etc).

More often than not valves would be bent on the EJ engines, but not always.
Had a belt snap on an Impreza v3 STI about 10 years ago, and my money was on bent valves (and that is what most people here on the forum thought too). However, I put a new belt kit on it (which would have been needed if overhauling whole engine, or putting in replacement engine anyway - so shot to nothing really)... turned it over by hand and all sounded ok... next did a compression test and full healthy compression on all cylinders, so started her and all was good! Did another 12k miles with her before selling and never missed a beat, no untoward noises, no oil usage... just all good.

So, if it was me I'd be doing the same thing in your case as either way a new TB kit will be needed. Fit it, try compression test. If all good then count yourself real lucky (like I did), or if engine no compression then remove engine and either fix or find a replacement that is suitable and fit that new TB kit on that.

Good luck and fingers crossed...

castletownbere in west cork as far away from everything as i could be

Sorry to hear valves are bent and a rebuild is on the cards.
Too far away from me to be of help with regards who is good in your area... but there are a few folks from those parts who might be able to steer you in the right direction.

Either way looking at removing the engine and stripping it down to assess exactly what parts are needed (valves sure, but pistons could be damaged too or heads etc). After strip down can assess if heads and pistons can be used again, and what the parts bill will be etc - so you can see whether that way is best or whether more economical to get 2nd hand heads or full engine etc (or whether economically viable to fix at all). Good luck!

There was a crowd in Cork that was good with subaru and they were paid business in the forum when we still had that option but l can't remember their name :ponder2:

Sorry to hear . Not a common thing to happen so your unlucky .mark Murphy motors knows Subaru’s well he can give you some advice on costs , strip down and inspection and take if from there

Back