Tyres....

Slicks are savage but the i found them very hard on the car
Hard on suspension and found oil light on the fiesta would flicker on hard corners due to the grip and forces involved
If i was racing yes track car probably go for that would slip and slide around a bit ...drove an e46 m3 on full slicks unreal

Just my opinion...if its times ypur after get them

Slicks are savage but the i found them very hard on the car
Hard on suspension and found oil light on the fiesta would flicker on hard corners due to the grip and forces involved
If i was racing yes track car probably go for that would slip and slide around a bit ...drove an e46 m3 on full slicks unreal

Just my opinion...if its times ypur after get them

Its always about times! ������

I have a good setup in relation to oil. Baffled sump and an oil cooler so should be ok there. Suspension might take a battering alright but sure keep her lit!

Lad in mondello the last day in a very quick beams celica. I shared a garage with him. Doing 2.02 laps for a long time. Put on a set of second hand slicks. Done a 1.59.... That's a lot! A turbo would only give you 3 seconds a lap!!!

Apart from obvious mechanical strains like oil starvation on corners (which you have addressed with the baffled sump) and additional pressure and wear on wheel bearings, ball joints etc...

... Also consider that slicks are great in the dry... but... unusable in the wet.
Realistically it means having to bring additional rims with "wet" tyres (either road or at least threaded track tyres) each time you go to Mondello... as it rains here too often to only bring slicks and then spend half of more of a trackday sitting in the yard waiting for things to dry enough to be able to go out on track.

Is that something you are able (and willing) to do for the 3 seconds improvement on a dry day in a trackday environment (not a race series where there are consequences for every 10th / 100th of a second lost or gained)?

Apart from obvious mechanical strains like oil starvation on corners (which you have addressed with the baffled sump) and additional pressure and wear on wheel bearings, ball joints etc...

... Also consider that slicks are great in the dry... but... unusable in the wet.
Realistically it means having to bring additional rims with "wet" tyres (either road or at least threaded track tyres) each time you go to Mondello... as it rains here too often to only bring slicks and then spend half of more of a trackday sitting in the yard waiting for things to dry enough to be able to go out on track.

Is that something you are able (and willing) to do for the 3 seconds improvement on a dry day in a trackday environment (not a race series where there are consequences for every 10th / 100th of a second lost or gained)?

I normally have 3 sets of wheels with me! With a different mix of tyres on them all. I have a set of soft rally tyres cut out to wets for the rainy day. Amazingly though I've never had to use them yet.

Back