Power Increase shopping list suggestions

James

Sunday Drivers
Ok so I’m looking to up the power for my track car. I am mainly looking for bolt on parts. Currently in the car is a back box air intake and upgraded fuel pump. I am thinking I will need the following

Injectors
Turbo
Fmic
Manifold and mid section for the exhaust
I’ll probably get a newer intake
And then get it all mapped

So my question is what to buy and where to get them?
Anything else I should be looking out for, perhaps a new engine for when it all goes pop lol ????

Factory inlet filter setup wont work with a FMIC so youll have to change that anyway if going FMIC...

What power you hoping for ?

would tend to agree with graham

power is nothing without control -pirelli

What car/model is it and what mods has it got.

As Graham has said if the car is still standard, first place to look to go faster is brakes. Then tyres and suspension, more power is the last thing you need.

Ok so I’m looking to up the power for my track car. I am mainly looking for bolt on parts. Currently in the car is a back box air intake and upgraded fuel pump. I am thinking I will need the following

Injectors
Turbo
Fmic
Manifold and mid section for the exhaust
I’ll probably get a newer intake
And then get it all mapped

So my question is what to buy and where to get them?
Anything else I should be looking out for, perhaps a new engine for when it all goes pop lol ��

You have it listed,
1. turbo off a STI (VF35 for example) wont have to much lag and therefore will still be good on the track
2. You can get away with using the 440cc injectors but because you getting it mapped might as well get the sti ones. A few places sell refurbished ones.
3. Because its a track car radiator and oil cooler a must if not done already, more power will come more heat.
4. Manifold? You talking about header? careful here. If you get one make sure its a good one otherwise it will crack and be more headache than its worth. As for exhaust do a single back box with cat delete. Wont pass nct but as a track car that's fine.
5.Intercooler for the street and track big difference. IC's absorb heat and transfer that into the air that passes through it. The smaller the IC the faster it will heat up. As a road car a smaller IC is ok as you not flooring it all the time but as a track car you need a good size one. Otherwise after 5 laps it will just be cooking.

Scooby world in the UK sell injectors.
Turbo you need to keep your eye open on ebay and so fourth
Header there a few place, just jump on the net
Exhaust, I guess Icetronix do i good enough job. But again there are a few place for this

Last edited:
Totally agree with earlier comments regarding the priority of things to focus on for a track car:

1. Brakes (better fluid like RBF600, better pads like DS2500 and later on maybe floating discs and braded ss lines and even more track orientated pad compounds)
  2. Suspension (polybushes for all control arms / wishbones etc, ALK, stiffer droplinks, and good fast road / track geo setup, later on maybe coil-overs, stiffer engine mounts and pitch mount, rear diff cradle bushes and / or lock kit etc).
  3. Tyres (additional grip of good rubber worth more than 50Bhp in laptimes, plus safer, cheaper and more reliable improvement in lap times than just more raw power).
  4. Power mods (first priority is to make the power you already have more reliable so consider things like better I/C, better radiator, sump baffle plates, oil cooler, good oil/air separator to prevent det during high rev / pressure blow-by oil contaminating fuel resulting in lower RON and detonation, better fuel pump and swirl pot setup, under bonnet temperature management (wrap / reflecting tape / shields / vents / fans) --- these mods are a must-have when a car is dedicated to tracking to ensure you maintain max power available for longer and safeguard your engine - and will still be needed - and even more important - as you turn up the power. After that your list is heading the right direction (turbo, injectors, exhaust, map). Also consider other potential reliability issues specific to the block you are using (what car / engine now like mid or rear trust crank bearing design, EJ20(EK etc) vs EJ205 vs EJ207, uprated head gaskets and studs etc)... track use puts a LOT more strain on the engine and cannot be compared to road use with the occasional "spirited" drive, so you cannot just get a bit more "free" power and expect it to last as well as a road car might).

Thanks everyone, lots of useful tips there. I’m going to be busy . Fun times ahead. I will keep ye posted on progress

Have acquired a few bit for the wrx and need to get it mapped. AP Performance is a closed door. Countless calls texts and emails but no response. Who else is recommended for open source remapping? TDP perhaps?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As suggested by others, suspension and brakes would be my suggested starting point. Then after look at increasing engine power. Make the car reliable by upgrading the usual parts that will fail on track e.g radiator etc. After that you can be more certain with the car being able to handle more power.

For ideas, check out my own build thread if you are a full member as I have detailed the above as I have links and places where to get the suggested plan above since doing similar to my own car. It's not a track car but would point you in the right direction to get parts on a budget. If you need any more info, PM me.

Fun times ahead and enjoy the process.

p.s: My car was mapped by AP and he is worth waiting for and the quality of work speaks for itself.

Also Dave SRS. Im not sure who is he mapping with now.
Murray Motorsport in Newry use Bob Rawle

How long have you been trying with Aonghus? Honest he is worth the wait. An absolute perfectionist. Maybe keep emailing him as i never spoke to him on the phone before i booked my car in. Took a good few emails as he is constantly on the dyno.

Your injectors are only 380cc not 440cc.

So would need sti ones for vf new age turbo.

Factory exhaust manifold is perfectly fine. No need to change.

We would sti injectors and new seal sets there.

Fresh built brand cartridge STi turbos.

Etc

caed3934b6b66db299adbd81d24d97d3.jpg
adca7ade6f10f9ac639a16e2ab5e7df0.jpg

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

Been trying him for 8 weeks now. Want to get a move on, rang yesterday no answer, emailed again and no reply.

Have new intake and injectors (pinks). still trying to decide on the right turbo. Probably a vf34. Full decat exhaust system and headers also on the cards in the next week or so.

Have sti suspension in her and plan on upgrading the disc and pads to ecb stuff in a few weeks

My aim is around 320bhp for now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I stuck it into the sat nav on me phone ...brought me from dublin right to his door ...if you local id drop in he is great at what he does....110% bloke

Back