Affordable

Rob

RobH
ISDC Club Member
It’s looking like I can’t afford a wide track as the vrt is €3500 minimum and a good widetrack is over £10000 so not realistic for our Irish market,so I’m inquiring what do people make of the evo 8 fq300 as there one on donedeal in Wicklow white all opinions welcomed thanks

i had an Evo 9 couple of years back, best handling car i have owned and plenty of power.
my advice if buying is buy a bog standard original car low mileage, stay away from lowered wound up examples, look great but not a patch on standard car to drive

Evos are great cars but check for RUST big time! Evos rust like a nightmare underneath.. they never rectified it right up to the later versions

Plus factor in hefty running costs as Evos need servicing... a lot!
Service intervals are literally a few thousand for engine oil and every 2nd or 3rd service needs diff and gearbox oil too.

In context... Subaru service intervals are 2-3x longer on average (depending on year and car spec).

Also a pain RE insurance (no better than Imprezas).

If you want / need a wide-track then I think you will need to consider upping your budget (be that 2.0 or 2.5).

If that is not an option... then have another good think about whether you really "need" a wide-track car in the first place, or whether it might make sense to look at non-wide-track cars that are within your original budget.

To put this into context:
On a daily driver you will not come anywhere near the limitations of a non-wide-track car and they will still out handle just about most cars out there (especially with a few relatively cheap bits thrown at it like poly-bushes, stiffer droplinks and maybe an ALK).

Even if doing the odd trackday for fun a non-wide-track car will do grand and not a huge difference.

If doing a lot of track work then the wide-track will be better due to beefier bearings and better handling, but you'd need to be quite a good driver to see big improvements in lap times -- and does 2-4 seconds on a 2 minute plus lap make much difference to your enjoyment of a trackday? Not really - would be my point.

Competition-wise there's no class you can race an Impreza competitively without big big investments... so the only track work is likely to be just for fun trackdays anyway... so then you're back to getting at least 95% of the same enjoyment from a non-wide-track.

Back