Engine - Blasting, cleaning etc.

toyscrota

4 doors are better than 2 doors
ISDC Club Member
Now that my engine is all stripped can anybody recommend what to do in terms of cleaning / blasting the engine, inlet manifold etc.?
Want to make it look as new as i can.

Attachments

• IMG_5774.JPG
    IMG_5774.JPG
    173.9 KB · Views: 119
  • IMG_5780.JPG
    IMG_5780.JPG
    658.8 KB · Views: 121
  • engine1.jpg
    engine1.jpg
    132.9 KB · Views: 117
Vapour blasting is the way to go James but not too sure about prices

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

I was and still am :icon_grin: I had ordered this Alubright Deoxidiser stuff from uk should be coming this week or so will try that first and see how it goes, but if you like somebody to do it for you vapor blast would be the way to go id say I did search for a few methods there's also ultrasonic cleaning, thermal cleaning, dry ice blasting but didn't find anyone that do it in dublin here or close by or some people refuse to do the likes of an engine block because there is oil involved and for 200 or more(depending how bad is it) to vapor blast 2 case halves and heads is a bit much for me :icon_confused:

I tried hot powerwashing , vinegar, tfr, deagreaser's, brake cleaners etc... only takes the surface dirt and oil off but doesn't bring that shine back so hopefully this Alubright stuff will help

Last edited:
I seen that dry ice in action at the classic car show ...you might as well be banging your c0ck off it ....not worth a fook...vapor is your only man

There’s also phosphoric acid for removing oxidation from aluminum - you can get it from anywhere that supplies homebrew equipment

From a bit more reading last night i think vapour is the way to go.
Emailed yer man in Limerick so will wait to hear back.

Just got reply this morning. Makes sense i suppose but otherwise is there any way to clean inside while its split or is there any point?

Hi James,
Vapour blasting is very gentle and virtually non abrasive to the surface.
However, I wouldn't recommend to do it before the engine block is complete.
The vapour blaster still uses media and you risk that some of it stays in the oil galleries.
When the block is built and sealed I could seal/blank remaining ports and openings without any fear.
Hope it helps.
Cost for the job would be around 300 euro.

Regards,
Martin

Just got reply this morning. Makes sense i suppose but otherwise is there any way to clean inside while its split or is there any point?

Hi James,
Vapour blasting is very gentle and virtually non abrasive to the surface.
However, I wouldn't recommend to do it before the engine block is complete.
The vapour blaster still uses media and you risk that some of it stays in the oil galleries.
When the block is built and sealed I could seal/blank remaining ports and openings without any fear.
Hope it helps.
Cost for the job would be around 300 euro.

Regards,
Martin

You won’t be blasting inside, just wash out with degreaser/ parts cleaner let me worry about that

Clean it and paint it silver . Even after cleaning the block it won't look that clean or new and will have black areas . Paint it silver job done :thumbsup:

300 quid that's an uprated oil pump I know what I'd have :icon_grin:

Clean it and paint it silver . Even after cleaning the block it won't look that clean or new and will have black areas . Paint it silver job done :thumbsup:

300 quid that's an uprated oil pump I know what I'd have :icon_grin:

She is getting the oil pump anyway!
Ya point taken joe thanks.

Attachments

• DSC_2667.JPG
    6.7 MB · Views: 52
  • DSC_2668.JPG
    4.8 MB · Views: 49
  • DSC_2669.JPG
    4.8 MB · Views: 50
Last edited:
Back