what tyres for irish weather

My personal experience so far: Initially changed the rubbish tyres that came with the car to a set of Uniroyal RS3. They performed very well in the wet and were decent in the dry. The side walls, even with the XL version, was too soft for my liking and once I got used to the level of grip with the 4wd system, I decided to try a different set of tyres. On the recommendation of 2 friends of mine, I decided to go with Yokohama Advan AD08R. They are advertised as an extreme summer tyre according to the blurb. My car is a daily driven wagon that requires comfort and at the same time, it is used for spirited backroad driving and the occasional track day.

Daily driving: Slightly harsher ride but nothing significant. From national roads, to backroads to motorways, it handles very well. Driven it from Dublin to London with the family on board. No issues at all.

Backroads/Hoons: The tyres do require a bit of time to warm up. But once they do, they do grip in the dry in manners that will surprise you. In the wet, they are not as good but still offer a lot of grip that inspires confidence still. I think the 4wd system works well in conjunction with the tyres.

Track: In July of last year on a dry day, car was at Mondello and to be honest, I thought they were phenomenal once warmed up. They just grip and grip...and when you think they won't grip anymore...they still grip! And when they finally do give, it's very progressive and easy to manage even at speed. Car setup is important as well, and it's even more apparent with these on as compared to when I had my Uniroyals and just lowering springs on worn shocks.

Snow: This past few days drove a bit on snow with the AD08R. Pleasantly surprised that they managed to pull the car up driveways and a few inches of snow. I didn't chance it with any more significant snow.

I'd highly recommend the AD08R even as just a set for the summer/track use and yes, they are road legal. Hope this helps :)

Sorry just reading the above post i got the xl for the peugeot and went for the normal one for the bmw as its a family car i found a big difference between the xl and the non xl ...

Couple of years old now this thread but thought I'd add to it. I've since changed my car (I now have a 162 Forester 2.0 D) and have ordered Cooper ATTs (225/60/17) from England as impossible to source in Ireland - unless i'm looking in the wrong places online. Costing me approx stg30 for delivery which is a bargain - and coming in at eur115 each for four tyres. I've to get them fitted which is another eur60 but some great deals on tyres to be had in the UK. 4x4tyres.co.uk is where i ordered mine from

Last edited:
Back