Legacy slugish start

Jarocki

Petrolheads
ISDC Club Member
Hey. Hope someone might have an idea. The last couple of weeks my legacy BP5 turns over but as the engine starts the revs drops to almost cut out and then runs no problem. Once started the car runs perfect and has no issues at all. This only happens if car is not started for a day or so. If i start the car after a drive it starts no problem. Last week after work it took 3 turns of the key and a push of the accelerator to get it going. It was turning over just not starting. It is an auto box. Thanks in advance.

Battery would be the first check as it could be on the way out , if no that then weak starter but try the battery first

Try turning the key to ACC for a few moments, waiting till the fuel pump creates the pressure, then start.
If this helps, might be fuel return valve fault.

Thanks yes i did try that alright and has no affect to the cars starting.

Thanks yes i did try that alright and has no affect to the cars starting.

Coolant temperature sensor is another option.
My subarus usually did start even when the starter could hardly rev the crank at -30 and 9 volts at the battery.

The rev dive after starts says that the mixture is poor, which might be the fault of the coolant temperature sensor. When it is dead, the ECU is probably taking the default temp (must be around +20) into account, and until lambda corrects it, you see low revs.

As joe said money on battery

Low recent temps play havoc with batterys

Make sure if getting on u get one with high Cold cranking amps (CCA)

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

-30 is cold. +3 is not.
Cold effect the battery, when part of the electrolyte has turned into water. Water turning into ice lowers the battery capacity. Haven’t heard of water turning into ice above zero.

It is possibly the dead battery, but cold has nothing to do with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Will get a meter on the terminals and see what the readings pre start up and when on.

If it is a battery issue does anyone have any recommendations? I am not sure what is in the car will check later on.

[emoji106]
21c0475fd852cc8aef600ba18d027e0c.jpg

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

If it is a battery issue does anyone have any recommendations? I am not sure what is in the car will check later on.

If the battery is less than 5-6 years old, it might be worth trying to charge it.
I have a charger, and a multimeter to check whether it’s helping or not...
And a BT OBDII, if a scan is needed.

I was down in consort yesterday and they threw a battery tester on it. What came up was a recharge was recommended. Now when i drive to work would be going for 45 minutes each way. Surely that would give it the recharge it needed??

I was down in consort yesterday and they threw a battery tester on it. What came up was a recharge was recommended. Now when i drive to work would be going for 45 minutes each way. Surely that would give it the recharge it needed??

Basically no. And if driving to work includes a lot of idling in traffic, just the opposite.

Generally no idiling. Mostly motorway roads to be honest.

On high revs the alternator will output more; the problem is that the dead battery needs low current to be restored.
The rule for a relatively new battery is 1/10 of the capacity for 10 hours.
But let’s say 1/20 for 20 hours would be better for a deeply discharged battery.
Just driving will keep it on the edge, won’t charge it fully.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey looking to pick up that bosch s4 024 but couldn't find a supplier online in ireland. Anyone any recommendations where to buy online?

Back